Thread: aswSP.SYS causing BSOD

aswSP.SYS causing BSOD

I am using Avast Free antivirus on my Windows XP computer from quite a long time and recently when I turned on my computer then I started getting blue screen of death issues. I then tried to run a tool called WhoCrashed and got reports showing some error message that says "A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: aswsp.sys". Can anyone tell me how do I solve this issue? Thanks

Re: aswSP.SYS causing BSOD

I have also seen different queries for this problem and the temporary solution is to turn off Avast antivirus that you have installed in your computer by going to Settings > Troubleshooting until Avast gets an update out. This aswsp.sys file seems to be some kind of Avast self-defence module driver. By the way are you regulary getting that problem like on every boot or when doing something specific? Which version of Avast are you using?

To fix this problem you just need to uncheck the Self Defence in Avast and different other startup settings boxes on the Troubleshooting page in the Settings menu of this antivirus. So, first go to Users Interface and then go to Settings at the top right. After that select the problem solving down the bottom of the list. Now try the settings or just disable Activate Avast Self Defense for the time being and the problem will be solved.

Re: aswSP.SYS causing BSOD

This problem is probably caused by the old version of Avast antivirus if you are using? Can you tell us which version of Avast are you using, the latest version being the 6.0.1367. You need to uninstall the old version of the antivirus and after that install the latest version and update it again to get the latest version. You can use the program to update from within the avast UI.