Thread: Network Help - Add Win7 to WinXP Network and lose IP Config Status

Network Help - Add Win7 to WinXP Network and lose IP Config Status

Hello Everyone,

Was hoping someone on this forum could assist me with a problem. I've connected a Windows 7 machine to an existing Windows XP Network Group. I can read the files on the XP machine in Shared Documents and I can see all devices. One printer actually works :O)

Problem - Upon reboot of the Windows 7 machine the IP defaults back to 198.161.1.100 instead of the network allocated IP series begining with 24.113...

All machines are obviously on the same workgroup and are setup to function under one router/modem config.

Am I missing something?

Thank you for your time and assistance with this matter.

Sherry

Have you tried obtaining the correct address of the router first. After that check the settings of the Local Area Network connection. Make sure that it obtains IP and Default Gateway address automatically, and click the Advanced button, delete all existed Default Gateway and DNS. Let us know your results.

Re: Network Help - Add Win7 to WinXP Network and lose IP Config Status

Reboot experiences a revert to the default Linksys router.. 198.162.1.100. But you bring up an interesting item. I have not yet manually configured the IP and DNS within the Windows 7 OS, as was previously done with the three other machines on the network. I have three machines and two printers running through the Linksys and the system's been stable for almost three years. However, here's the break down - 2 XP machines, 1 Vista machine, and now 1 Win07 machine.

I'll configure manually and see if that helps. The actual IP for this specific network begins with 024.113.XXX.XXX.

Your assistance is very much appreciated.

Thank you,
    Sherry

You will have to make sure you’ve turned on network discovery on both the computers for them to be detected.

Follow the steps mentioned below to do the same:

1. Open Advanced sharing settings by clicking the Start button, and then clicking Control Panel . In the search box, type network , click Network and Sharing Center , and then, in the navigation pane, click Change advanced sharing settings.

2. Click the chevron to expand your current network profile.

3. Click Turn on network discovery, and then click Save changes. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Check this topic for more suggestions - Cannot Network Windows 7 with Windows XP

Thank you Zachery.

I'm hoping the information you supplied will assist in completing the connection. It's something I haven't tried yet, so Monday, I'll try it and see how it works.

The problem isn't so much seeing the other computers, what is happening is that upon Rebute, I have ipconfig /release, ipconfig /renew in order for the system to access the internal network ip. Once the renew operation is complete, all systems can be seen and accessed. I even have one of two printers working through the laptop.

Hopefully, Network Discovery will help in accessing the appropriate IP upon start up.

Thanks again!!

Sherry

To those of you who tried to assist in my network issues, thank you so much. We actually set up an alternate account on the machine where I manually configured the IP, Subnet, Gateway, and DNS.

Upon rebute, the machine automatically directed itself to the network, not the router Seeing this, I went into the original user's profile and was able to access all network devices, internet, and other resources. Went back into the alternate ID and disabled it, this was a fix that maintained network accessibility.

Thank you again for those of you who tried to help.

Sherry