Thread: Connect multiple wireless routers (Netgear)

Connect multiple wireless routers (Netgear)

Hi there,

There have been a lot of great feedbacks on this forum so I hope I can get some answers to my problem here as well.

I have two wireless Netgear DG834g modem routers (one v3 - call it ‘A’ and one is v2 – call it ‘B’). DG834g ‘A’ is connected to ADSL line and acts as modem router where other computers and printer are connected to it – wired. This is my access point to internet.
    I have another pc in different room and recently purchased Sony TV with LAN connection. I would like to setup second router ‘B’ in that room and connect it wirelessly to first router ‘A’. Than I want to connect TV and one or more computers (wired) to second router ‘B’.
    I have assigned different IP address to router ‘B’ and disable(untick) DHCP option. Network name, region, channels and mode are set to same. Also wireless access point is enabled.

I can connect to router ‘A’ and connect to internet. I cannot connect to router ‘B’ and all attached devices cannot connect to internet at the moment. I’ve been playing with all different setting all weekend and no success.

Could you please point me in to right direction and let me know if even this type of network setup is possible?

Thanks in advance, Honzac

Re: Connect multiple wireless routers (Netgear)

I got the basic idea of the setup but I need some more information in order to explain you the things clearly. Kindly provide us the IP addresses of all (router A, router B), what IP did you got from the ISP (becoz you are using the router as access point)? And by the way this type of setup is possible, provided everything is configured properly.

Thanks fo reply.
    Router A is set to preconfigured IP 192.168.0.1 and is connected to ADSL line. Router B is configured with IP 192.168.0.9. All other computers and printer or TV are getting IP on login. I have also static IP from ISP assigned but that should not be relevant I guess as the issue is within my home network. I can connect to internet with either router with no problem, provided that they are connected by cable LAN (router is not faulty). I can have them both on network and login to them no problem if they are both connected to each other by cable.
    I have found some article yesterday on net that mentioned that this type of connection is not possible (connect router B to router A wirelessly), but if you have solution I would be happy . Thanks for reply

You just need to connect two router with the LAN cable (wireless security like WEP / WPA will not applies to the connection using cable). Make it one router as a "Server" & set it with DHCP IP address. This router will consider the other router attached to it as a client and will distribute IP address. Set the other router also with DHCP IP address in the different range so there will be no conflict. You can set different security for these routers. But remember to consider the "broadcasting collision" since two routers will broadcast wireless signals.

to Solomon:

Thanks for advice. Two routers are in separate rooms with no option to connect them between each other by cable. That's why I wanted to connect them wireless. Otherwise I would plug router (B) in to wall socket (LAN - if I have it) and use it as switch, but there is no option for cable connection. Thanks again

Thanks for IP config advice. I forget to set different ranges in each router to prevent IP conflict. Good thinking!