Thread: Router wont connect to internet

Router wont connect to internet

On a night shift at our workplace we often bring in our own laptops and connect to the internet using an ethernet cable. Its a little inconveniant to drag out this 50 ft cable so I decided to purchase a travel router. I can connect to the router but I can't surf the internet. I can't ask our techs. either cause they don't want us to use wireless devices at our workplace. Any suggestions?

Re: Router wont connect to internet

Many questions comes up for your setup. First of all which router are you using? Did you configured it? How are you connecting your router to your laptop, wired or wireless? If wireless, then is the laptop capable of receiving wireless signals? Are using any wireless card, did you configured it too? How far are you from this router?

Fisrst of all I can connect with this router at ease when I use it home with my laptop wireless. Its an intellinet router and at my work location its about 20 ft from my laptop. I can connect to the router and get in to the config area but the router cannot connect to the internet because I am unsure of what to configure the WAN setting. I tried cable modem and it didnt work, pppoe requires a password. I guess I just thought it would be simple because we normally just plug in an ethernet cable and surf instantly, no configs, passwords or usernames

Have you tried connecting direct from modem to one of your PCs. Do you get internet? If so then run "ipconfig /all" in command prompt to obtain your internet settings. Note that you do not connect to your network through the WAN port. Some ISPs configure their internet to the specific MAC address of the first PC. You may need to clone that mac address in the router in order to get a WAN connection.

I don't have access to the modem itself, its on another floor in our building. An ethernet port was installed near our work area for us to connect personnal laptops via an ethernet cable. No passwords are required just plug in the ethernet cable and surf the internet at our conveniance. I just find it inconvenient being tethered to an ethernet cable.

Did you make sure that you have it cabled correctly? Were you ever able to access the router to set it up? Sounds more like your workstation is set to dhcp and these routers are not yet configured as dhcp servers. No dhcp means no ip address = no networking. Did you follow the routers manual for setup?

I can access the router no problems, setup is where I have the problem. Once I select the correct time zone, the next thing I am asked is WAN type. My options are cable modem, fixed-ip xDSL, PPPoE xdsl, PPTP xDSL, L2TP xDSL, Telstra Big Pond. I am not sure what to select here, at my house with the same router I select PPPoE xDSL, enter my username and password and everything works fine. Obviously thats not going to work here. I did the command ipconfig/all with the computer connected via the ethernet cable. but I'm not sure what to do with the information.

I will recommend you to use some internet connection monitoring tool which will offers you the exacts status for your router. You can use both a offline and online tool. I am using The Internet Connectivity Evaluation Tool which check your router. It also helps in improving net speed. It takes around 10 minutes to check your system and give you information on the same.
    The Internet Connectivity Evaluation Tool