Thread: "DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response."

"DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response."

Am I in some big stuck or what ? When I looked into the logs on my router, I got these two things again and again and they seem to coincide with my connection continuously dropping...

"DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response."
    "Operating in Gateway mode"
    What it is pointing.. someone here are aware about this or got this message before .Please suggest me about this ???

Re: "DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response."

Just avoid this . That DHCP WARNING message is common and comes-up from the cable modem. I get this all the time as well. It is really something that the cable modem technician works with. You actually shouldn't be concerned with anything in the Cable modem logs.

On the side note. Provide me the signal levels of your cable modem. You can get them from the exact page you were in most likely. Your downstream power level should be within the -15 and +15 dBmV. Your upstream should be within the 32 - 58 dBmV.

If your signal levels are near to the borderlines then that would describe why your connection terminating again and again. A number of things can cause the problems with your signals fluctuating but the most likely cause is faulty splitters..
    Last edited by Team Leader; 23-06-2010 at 05:08 PM.

Downstream: -1.4 dBmV

Upstream: 33.0 dBmV

I contacted with my cable company, Roadrunner, and their level 3 technician told that they recognized a 20% packet loss, so they are sending someone out. Primarily, I tried all the speed suggestions previously on my machine at work, so I figured out when I move to my home, they would work here as well. Utorrent on my machine at work is currently flying quickly but at home here I am still suffering with the dropping of connection , so it might be something going incorrect with the cable. The thing which confused me, is uTorrent is the only thing which triggers these drops. On other hand , surfing the web, downloading all types of components with the Flashget, working within the bearshare, chat rooms, etc, entire things are going well .

Well , you need to get the packet loss checked out. this could be a damaged splitter or can be just line leakage. What type of router you are running currently ? I haven't had such type of problem with my router: Linksys WRT54G Version 4 but because UTorrent browses up with a number of connections, it overloads the router.

One more thing, what type of cable modem? Motorola Surfboard? When you drop the internet connection, what happens to the lights on the cable modem?

Here is something need to checkout . When you terminate your connection when you work with the UTorrent, check the primary four green lights upon your cable modem. Entirely four should still be turned on . If those four green lights moves off and start flashing at all then it's a signal problem with the cable modem. If your connection lost and those four green lights are still in the on mode then it is the router issue which is causing to drop your connection.

It is the type of suck because the router is constructed into the modem but at least then you will be aware about, where to begin all these . If it is the issue of router , limiting the number of simultaneous connections would be the good thing to make a try.

I am getting confused and the problem that I discussed with you is getting more and more complex for me to solve this....By the way I moved through my modem (which is in different room) when it would be done and the lights do actually gone , then come back on gradually like it would if it was restarting. Please suggest me some more beneficial suggestion about this ...

Archer3 Guest

Cable modem resets frequently.

I am bumping this thread in hopes that I might be able to help others avoid the grief I did from what should be readily available knowledge. My fix was pretty simple. I also had a Cable Modem that kept resetting and it was all about cable strength and the choice of splitters.

Initial condition. When I first installed my Cable modem in our newly constructed condo I went to Radio Shack to purchase a 4 Way Splitter to feed all four of the wall outlets within our unit. I then had a 2 way Splitter at the outlet where I installed the cable modem and cable Set top Box. My modem kept resetting itself.

I had a technician come out to have a look and he was extremely helpful.

Problem 1) The Radio Shack Splitter was a 2GHZ unit(16-2570) and are known not to work well with the cable modem. The tech suggested that maybe any splitter with a rating of no more than 1GHz would work.
    Problem 2) A 4 way splitter has undesirable signal loss.

Countermeasure:
    We reconfigured the incoming split from the 4 way to a two way(-3.5db) to minimize the signal loss to the outlet with the cable modem. One side of the two way feeds directly to the outlet for the TV and Cable Modem, which is also split by another two way. The other side feeds a 3 way which in turn feed the remaining rooms in the condo. Nothing is currently connected to them so it is really redundant at this point.

All splitters are Antronix 5-1002 Mhz.

My Downstream is now 3dBmV and Upstream is 47dBmV. Well within specs. Unfortunately we didn't measure the conditions prior to the changes but I assume they were out of spec since my modem works great now.
    Last edited by Archer3; 09-10-2011 at 07:04 PM.