Thread: Error ssl_error_rx_record_too_long when accessing default SSL page

Error ssl_error_rx_record_too_long when accessing default SSL page

I get this one error in firefox when trying to access my CPanel default page running with SSL mode:

Secure Connection Failed

An error occurred during a connection to 1.1.1.1.

SSL received a record that exceeded the maximum permissible length.

(Error code: ssl_error_rx_record_too_long)

The page you are trying to view can not be shown because the authenticity of the received data could not be verified.

* Please contact the web site owners to inform them of this problem.
    I have tried to make a dummy SSL certificate again with x509, but the issue still comes up. I tried to search the same on google but nothing happened ...

Re: Error ssl_error_rx_record_too_long when accessing default SSL page

I was also suffering with the same problem , I fixed it myself and I have reinstalled the certificate and it didn't work for me (tried so many times, even tried removing the certificate and CSR and then after made reinstalled), however I heard of some strange quirk with cPanel and moved through the some suggestions ...

But atlast, moved to configure an Account, choose the domain in question and just be sure that Parked Domains and Addon Domains contains a value greater than one, if it is already then just click on save without modifying anything... and everything is working now ...

I have just got a user and he is trying to access my sites, and they continuously receiving this error message :

ssl_error_rx_record_too_long

They are receiving this error on all of the browsers even entire platforms. I am unable to reproduce the issue at all. My server and myself are established in the USA, the user is accessing from India. I made a lot of searching regarding this on internet and the main source looks to be that the SSL port is telling in HTTP. I tested a lot my server and it is not happening. I tried different fix as indicated on many sites but the user has stated that it did not resolve the problem. Somebody will clarify the fix for this issue or how I can reproduce this???

In my situation, I had to configure the <VirtualHost *> back with the <VirtualHost *:80> (which is the default on Ubuntu). Otherwise, the port 443 was not using the SSL and was transferring plain HTML back to the web browser.

You can invetigate whether your scenario quite simply : just connect to your server with the server domain name www........com:443 with and the respetive link, if you got the plain HTML, your Apache is not interacting with the SSL on port 443 at all, mostly due to a VirtualHost problem.

This commonly indicate that the implementation of SSL on your server is not absolute . The error is commonly caused by a server issue that the server administrator will require to find out. There is some suggestion below and I would recommend you go for the trial .

1- Just be sure that port 443 is open and activated on your server. This is the standard port for https communications.
    2- If SSL is attempting a non-standard port then FireFox 3 can sometimes occur this error. And also, just be sure that SSL is running on port 443.
    3- If using Apache2, then you should check that you are attempting port 443 for SSL. This can be performed by configuring the ports.conf file as suggested below :

Listen 80
    Listen 443 https
    4- Just be sure that you don't have more than one SSL certificate sharing the exact IP. Please be sure that entire SSL certificates utilise their personal dedicated IP.
    5- If implementing Apache2 the you need to find out your vhost config. There are some users reported changing <VirtualHost> to _default_ resolved the error.