Thread: Recycler virus on mac

Recycler virus on mac

Today, I figured out that a directory "RECYCLER" (all caps) in my [user]/Documents folder, created Wed, Jan 20 before two days. Within one other directory "S-1-5-21-507921405-1715567821-682003330-500" and in there two files:
    desktop.ini (65 bytes)
    INFO2 (20 bytes)
    This could be something common thing for Windows. I occasionally run Windows XP SP2 on VMware Fusion primarily to check the websites on Internet explorer . Does Windows in VMware get to write components in my Mac Documents directory ? Is RECYCLER somehow associated with the Windows trash bin? Should I be worried about this ?

Re: Recycler virus on mac

There are some informative files with the system and named as recycler and desktop.ini, both of the files are closely related to windows system . You can get it from the folder options. In such type of situation, you should go for the system settings and view in control panel, find out and make sure that the hide protected OS files is unticked. Unless you are deleting the malware that you don't actually required to see those files..

Well, thank you so much . So I take it they are standard Windows files and directories. But I think, it was not with my post above, I had that directory on my Mac OS side, that is out of the Windows system . In the standard OS X [user]/Documents folder.

How did it get there? What about the cryptic "S-1-5-21-507921405-1715567821-682003330-500" directory ? what about the executable files in there? Entire components are harmless? And why did I not got a RECYCLER directory within the actual Windows system ? I am getting that it's hidden, but I had the option to find hidden compoenents turned on.

Hello ,Does anybody here are aware about this virus/trojan Recycler.exe. It affects removable drives. Currently, it has become a big issue for me and getting failed to solve this . AVG Anti-Virus doesn't recognize it even though I can get it is scanning the virus files. Trend Micro Internet security displays everything safe even when I remove the directory and it regenerates while Trend Micro is executing . Kaspersky Internet Security recognizes that the files are infectected but unable to remove this up. I have the newest updates of the said anti-viruses yet I am in the same situation . Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks for any help..........

This can be easily healed by the simple procedure to clean the viruses and but you need to also care about some cautions. Currently, you have to boot your system in safe mode with the help of F8 key and that should be used on startup of system and again execute the AVG scan. It should be able to recognize the files in safe mode. You will also have to remove the auto run files off the flash drive. I would give you some suggestion to find a friend who already running with the mac to delete it for you. There may be an simple method but this method should work properly .

Hi all of you , I just connected in my USB drive into my computer system and searching for some saved files on that and I found 3 directories on that and named as RECYCLER , all caps. In the directories , there is such things suggested as “S-0-9-58-100002075-100022367-100003613-7815.com”.

I have gone through the know more about this file and found that this RECYCLER directory is a trojan virus, Is it harm full for my computer or any system generated files and all , please let me know that ?

If its a directory, you are unable to see in windows even though you are running with the hidden files and directories turned on it could potentially be a virus. In addition to show hidden files and folders, just make sure that "show protected system folders" is checked and activated already . Connecting a drive into a linux/unix/MacOS computer, you are usually able to get these files and remove them.

Currently , with the recycler, there is a harmless version of the file but unfortunately there is also a virus with the exact name and moving around the system . Sometimes, you will get the recycler displayed in different name means misspelled name of the directory , other times you will not.