Thread: MSI vr600 laptop cannot connect to ZyXel ADSL router

MSI vr600 laptop cannot connect to ZyXel ADSL router

I have a MSI vr600 laptop which had Windows XP installed on it. Recently I upgraded the operating system on the laptop and after upgradation of the operating system, my MSI vr600 laptop cannot connect to ZyXel ADSL router. It shows that the laptop is connected to the router but I am not able to access Internet on the laptop. Is this because of the operating system upgrade? Please help.

Re: MSI vr600 laptop cannot connect to ZyXel ADSL router

There can be many reason for fluctuation in Internet connectivity. It can be because of the router or the laptop itself. First scan the laptop with an updated antivirus and check for all the files which are infected. Repair or quarantine the files which are infected and then check if the same problem persists or not. Hopefully repairing the infected files will solve the problem.

The configuration of the router must have changed which is not letting the device to connect to it. Configuration of the router changes when some device is connected or disconnected from the network. Therefore I would suggest that you login to the router and change the settings of the router as required. After changing the configuration, save the settings and see if you are able to connect to the router.

As you have installed Windows 7 on the laptop, the Windows firewall is active by default. The security softwares like Firewall block all the unknown traffic which is originating or terminating on the computer. Hence it is possible that Windows firewall is blocking connection to the network. Therefore I would suggest that you disable the Windows firewall and check the performance of the network.

I think the zyxel routers which you are using is faulty due to which you are facing such problem. Connect the router to the computer using a Console cable and then update the firmware of the router from the official website of manufacturer. After updating the firmware on the router, see if the problem is solved.

Try restarting the DHCP on the router and then connect the laptop to the router. If the laptop does not get the IP address assigned by the DHCP then it will not be able to access network resources. Login to the router and open the configuration page. Stop the DHCP and login to the router again. Start the DHCP and connect the laptop to the router.

Thanks for helping out. Restarting the DHCP on the router really helped in solving the problem. Now the laptop is getting its IP assigned by the DHCP server running on the router and connectivity with the router is good. I wonder how the DHCP stopped functioning properly on the router but still restarting it helped.