Thread: what is router and what is its role in internet speed?

what is router and what is its role in internet speed?

Hi guys i am just a beginner so please tell me "what is router and what is its role in internet speed?"

Re: what is router and what is its role in internet speed?

A router is a network device that interconnects two or more computers in the network and sends data packets between them. You can also consider as a device whose task involves forwarding information. It plays an important role in Internet speed because it is the only device that provides you internet connection and if you are having any kind of problem with this device then you won't be able to use internet anyhow.

Hi -
    I am a Cisco Employee, we have some great resources that explain networking and how it works.

How Routing and Switching Keeps the Business Going

Building a Small Business Network

Basic Networking What You Need to Know

I hope this helps!

Dawn

Quote Originally Posted by BiGMaCHiNe View Post
    A router is a network device that interconnects two or more computers in the network and sends data packets between them. You can also consider as a device whose task involves forwarding information. It plays an important role in Internet speed because it is the only device that provides you internet connection and if you are having any kind of problem with this device then you won't be able to use internet anyhow.
    Although this is partially true, a router is just another device that makes up a network but does not provide internet, it is not a necessary device for Internet, this is the purpose of a modem, and it's speed is dependent on what bandwidth you purchase from an ISP. Or how I would like to put it, if you have a DSL connection that is 2mb that is the speed of your internet even if you put a N router that you may have foolishly spent $$ on you will still have 2mb speed for internet! the only difference that you will find in a N router would be the speed that you are able to transfer data from 1 computer to another on the same network would be faster than that of a G router, but other than that no difference in internet speed, and the more computers that are on that network connecting to the internet at the same time, the slower your speed for one computer as all devices are sharing that 2mb. This is why if you have a cable modem it may be possible for your Internet to slow to less than that of DSL, due to the high amount of bandwidth being used for cable Television. Now I would also state that it is possible to purchase a Modem and router as one unit, but that still does not change the speed of your internet, 2mb will never be more than 2mb

thanks guys for your best suggestions

A router is nothing but actually a device that has the ability to forward data packets along a network. It is connected to atleast two networks. Commonly you can say it as LAN's or WAN's. It can also be a LAN and its ISP network. And the internet speed depends on the quality of router that basically transfers it at a higher rate with the help of bandwidth provided by ISP with quality.