Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows Vista internet works for a while then stops

Windows Vista internet works for a while then stops

so I have an Asus laptop with windows vista and everytime I go on, usually anywhere from 20 minutes to 3 hours after its on the internet will stop working, yet it still says im connected to the internet. so its not the internet its the computer. and then the problem is fixed if i turn the computer off and back on then i can access the browser again. However, once my computer blocks the internet it takes it a lot longer than usual to turn off, sometimes it just stays stuck at the "shutting down" screen and will never shut down. so basically how the hell can this be fixed? it gets annoying.

Re: Windows Vista internet works for a while then stops

perform a complete windows update & also see you have installed all the latest drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by vprasad84 View Post
    perform a complete windows update & also see you have installed all the latest drivers.
    How do i do that exactly?

Hello,

Ensure that you have installed the latest service pack i.e SP2 for Windows vista. You can download it from Microsoft Website.

If you have installed SP2 then go to control panel, go to windows update, check & install it.

You can try to diagnose the internet connection. Download the Network Diagnostics Technologies in Windows Vista from here. With Windows Vista, Microsoft introduces two new tools designed to make diagnosing network problems easier: the Network System Icon and the Network Diagnostics Framework (NDF). With these tools, users can troubleshoot and resolve common network connectivity issues—such as Internet connectivity, file sharing, wireless networking, and the like—themselves, potentially reducing support costs.

willjackson Guest

this might be a computer problem rather an internet problem however you could isolate by using a different computer try to connect it to your network and observe if you will experience the same problem.

Quote Originally Posted by vprasad84 View Post
    Hello,

Ensure that you have installed the latest service pack i.e SP2 for Windows vista. You can download it from Microsoft Website.

If you have installed SP2 then go to control panel, go to windows update, check & install it.
    Thanks for the advice but i downloaded and installed the SP2 and it hasn't done anything for me. Still getting the same problems.

Quote Originally Posted by willjackson View Post
    this might be a computer problem rather an internet problem however you could isolate by using a different computer try to connect it to your network and observe if you will experience the same problem.
    oh its definately a computer problem, internet works on everything else the computer just seems to block my access to it after a while-although i can still use some internet programs like ventrilo just not msn or the browser.

Is the problem just with MSN or sites related to the same ? If yes than this difficulty occurs if your program uses the IAuthenticate interface to validate with the Web site and you access the Internet through a proxy server that also needs verification. To fix this error just go through this Microsoft Article.

Quote Originally Posted by Happy_To_Help View Post
    Is the problem just with MSN or sites related to the same ? If yes than this difficulty occurs if your program uses the IAuthenticate interface to validate with the Web site and you access the Internet through a proxy server that also needs verification. To fix this error just go through this Microsoft Article.
    Its my internet browers, both firefox and internet explorer. Sometimes msn keeps working.

I have seen a similar case with one of my friend, on Windows 7. He was connected to internet and able to ping the addresses, but unable to browse any site. He was having Norton Antivirus installed on the system and it was blocking everything, he guessed so. He just disabled it and everything got fixed. He started browsing without any issue.

I am not sure this will help you or not but your case is also similar and may help. Try it out and reply back.

Quote Originally Posted by DanielV View Post
    I have seen a similar case with one of my friend, on Windows 7. He was connected to internet and able to ping the addresses, but unable to browse any site. He was having Norton Antivirus installed on the system and it was blocking everything, he guessed so. He just disabled it and everything got fixed. He started browsing without any issue.

I am not sure this will help you or not but your case is also similar and may help. Try it out and reply back.
    Looking at control panel i notice i do have the norton security scan, think it came with my computer do i just uninstall it to get rid of it?

Give it a try. I hope this may then let you get the issue to be sorted. All you need to do is to remove the program that is Norton. Then look out for the same. I hope this will surely let you to get the things to perform well for you then. SO do check out.

Quote Originally Posted by shen View Post
    Give it a try. I hope this may then let you get the issue to be sorted. All you need to do is to remove the program that is Norton. Then look out for the same. I hope this will surely let you to get the things to perform well for you then. SO do check out.
    I uninstalled norton and im still getting the same problem.

How are you connected to the internet? I think there might be a power saver feature on the network card? Check the properties of your network card itself for such. You have to be sure to enable the network before checking for the power management tab. Try disabling IPv6 under your network connection properties. It might be also either your router issue or modem issue that you are using for internet connectivity.

well iv tried two different internets, same problem for both, and when i try and diagnose the problem it still says there's nothing wrong with the internet connection. I use an ethernet cord to keep connected. How do I access network connection properties? Sorry i really dont know much about computers, pardon my ignorance.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast