Thread: Issues of Wireless internet in Knoppix 5.3

Issues of Wireless internet in Knoppix 5.3

I have downloaded and burn a CD later in the Knoppix 5.3 live CD distribution. Now I am not able to boot the KDE environment and I can not work in the distribution, when I boot the bootable CD to restart the pc, and I get the "console". Also I am facing the problem while using the wireless internet into it. I am now just able to use the 6 basic commands like umount, mount, etc. I am not having much knowledge about it. So also explain me more about the Knoppix. Please help me to sort out this issues..!!
    Last edited by Sheravat; 29-05-2010 at 11:38 PM.

Re: Issues of Wireless internet in Knoppix 5.3

Many times it happens that we have a PC with a corrupted OS , which does not allow for information via the network, and / or do not want to take it apart to mount the drive in another PC. Then the solution we have is to use a livecd (in my case knoppix ) to boot the PC and to copy the information to a network share. As a pioneer in this aspect of CD that is loaded into RAM, thus avoiding having to install the system for testing, proved to be very practical and so were several products, in fact a host of different applications-oriented distributions or prepared for languages support not so conventional.

Currently all major distributions (Fedora, Debian, Suse, etc.) Have some Live-CD version, and that is why Knoppix has lost a little magic, more if we add the fact that it is maintained by one person does not appear to rely heavily on group work, although "Knoppex" knows what it does, does not seem to give enough current challenges. But see alternatives as Sidux, which represent a substantial improvement in boot Knoppix and installing the system, and a real concern to support other languages.

I would like to tell you about the Knoppix 5.3. KNOPPIX 5.3.1 DVD version comes only weighs 4.1GB, so it is intended to be used mostly as live system as installed system that brings a host of applications and is derived from testing with some packages that are unstable. It uses the 2.6.24.4 kernel, brings VirtualBox (virtualization system that can load different systems within GNU), updated WiFi drivers and firmware for ipw plates, 3D desktop with Compiz 0.7.3 with experimental Compiz Fusion modules; KDE 3.5.9 and even KDE 4.0 as experimental boot option., audio desktop called Adriana, with support for Braille and text-to-speech system, real-time decompression Cloop 2624, OpenOffice.org 2.3.1, updated hard disk installer.

I would like to suggest you to try the following steps to fix your issue :
    1. Start the pc from the live cd and go to the console.
      # smbclient -L //IPDELHOST -U
      IPDELHOST where is the IP address of the host where we want to see your shares and is the user name with which we present in this host.
    2. Recalling that we are located in a "livecd" create a mount point :
      # mkdir /mnt/ejemplo

You will asked for the key, and after that you'll be able to copy the files from our PC to the share of the remote host.

It was announced and the availability of Knoppix 6.2, the mother of all distributions in LiveCD format, and ADRIANO (Audio Desktop Reference Implementation and Networking Environment), its special version with a verbal reading system menu that offers access to people with problems vision, but it also allows things like work with Knoppix without a monitor attached. If you have a notebook to which you do not run the operating system and can not recover your data in the alternative can start the computer with a knoppix live cd, then mount the disk and copy over the network.