Thread: Attempt breach in Mac Network

Attempt breach in Mac Network

I installed a small wireless network. At first without any security, there are very few PCs in the network. Then I added the MAC address filtering. However when connecting the network as I said is not secure. I am wondering what are the risks, I understand that they only found the side of the computer, but since I do not share anything. In a log file showed by software that some IP is accessing my network. How to stop the same.

Re: Attempt breach in Mac Network

Mac address filtering is not really protection. Then the WEP protocol is dead. WPA is more secure and is therefore ideal. Now it turns out that the settings made by you is responsible for everything that passes on your private network and Internet connection out of TA. It is possible that someone is accessing your network. So try a good firewall for your system.

But I do not understand why MAC address filtering is not working here. Before that it seems the surest way to limit access to the router, since it decides what parts that reach it. In effect, unless it is very easy to change its MAC address and pretending to be a legitimate machine. So in the end the MAC address filtering does not do anything. You need some addition support here.

It possible to secure file sharing networks, leaving the terminal accessible to all Internet. I have 6 mac running on a pseudo server (which runs a mac just share all files computer name / public) and I make this folder accessible to the person with the wifi. If you want to make some files inaccessible to others, but leaving Internet, open other accounts. It takes little time. You go into System Preferences > System > Accounts. You unlock the padlock, and you create as many account as you want. When you start your Mac, everyone will have their account, then a single account or for others and yours, you're seeing.

The goal is not some inaccessible folder it's just that I realized that with my personal computer I have Internet access and also network and file sharing ( logic itself). This means that anyone who connects to the wireless terminal is our access to all folders (Public) server. Again it is more logical. The goal is to password protect all the public folder that can be done from System Preferences.

During the first installation of an access point, it is configured with default values, including respect the password of the administrator. In that there are lot of budding directors consider that from the moment the system works it is unnecessary to change the configuration of the access point. The default settings are such that security is minimal. It is therefore better to connect to the administration interface that can be usually via a web interface on a port -specific access terminal, in order to define a password administration.

In order to connect to an access point it is necessary to know the identifier (SSID). Thus it is advisable to change the default network name and disable the broadcast (broadcast) of the latter on the network. You must change the default network ID is all the more important because it may give hackers of the information on the make or model of the access point used.