Thread: How to enable remote disc in non air system

How to enable remote disc in non air system

I am having shed light on a problem with my Apple Remote Disc. I am using a MacBook Air (1st gen) and the optical drive from a Dell Inspiron 1720. I was using Remote Disc productively with Vista 32-bit, but upgraded to Windows 7 Pro 64-bit and I cannot get it to run at present. I have followed the install commands from Apple's website (have the most recent version 1.0) and sharing is facilitated. I have tried turning off Windows firewall, but no dice. When I hit it off on "Remote Disc" nothing at the entire demonstrate up. They are connected to the similar network. I do not recognize what gives I am confused.

Re: How to enable remote disc in non air system

You be able to presently go into "Sharing" under system preferences and select "DVD or CD sharing" I consider that merely covers one part of the equation. This would permit you to actually utilize a shared disk. On additional macs supplementary than the MacBook Air. Is there a method to find out if this command worked. You do not observe several remote disks on your network.

Yes the 'DVD/CD sharing' is presently the server-side. The customer is what is generally restricted to the Air, and that's what those preferences facilitate. The DVD/CD sharing is off by defaulting; I have not seen several additional random machines at your campus with it on. You have gotten it to work connecting machines you have, although. To do the server part, you be able to install the DVD or CD Sharing service for Windows. This is on the CD integrated with the Airs.

I had a prefect previously; it was a laptop I had long ago. And I do not essentially have an iMac, Mac Pro, or XServe presently lying approximately those three are Linux boxes and, in view of the fact that I was not too keen regarding them showing up with the BSOD image, I made avahi send out the suitable _device-info keys in excess of Bonjour. BTW, it come into view to work without rebooting, I basically relaunched the Finder and it came right up.

It's an previous IBM Netvista that is, well, black. It uses several sort of custom-form-factor authority supply, on the other hand, and in view of the fact that I was not actually keen on the idea of ponying up $110 for a innovative power supply, I as an alternative took a SPX-style power supply and shortened the case to create it fit in the space where I would have the CD drive (were I the sort of person who used CD drives for additional than OS installs.).

One significance of this is that the airflow is a bit dissimilar at present, so the apparatus works a diminutive hotter. I am not too certain how much hotter (no temperature sensors), though it's been running extremely well similar to this for the past year. I try not to do anything too CPU-intensive for long periods of time, presently in case.

Has anybody productively played a movie on the customer using Remote Disc. I tried to do presently that at the moment - loaded a movie in my iMac to play on my MacBook Pro - but no joy. I was capable to read from together a CD and a DVD, on the other hand, but have yet to endeavor a write test. How far have several of you gotten thus far. In addition, for those of you who have the MacBook Air, be able to you play a movie on the Air via Remote Disc on a 2nd Mac. I am fascinated in finding the limits of Remote Disc.