Thread: Suspicious file in Macbook

Suspicious file in Macbook

I have a Macbook pro which is some couple of months old. I had recently installed some screen savers and themes. Then after sometime I had removed them. I had found a suspicious file in the Mac drive. It was having name in some hash characters. When I delete this file it come back again. I had checked the system for application associated with this. But there is nothing mentioned. I had heard that I can find this out by activity monitor. But haven't used it yet. Where to download this.

Re: Suspicious file in Macbook

The Activity Monitor is an application that is already a part of Mac OS X. There is no need to download this application. It is located in the Utilities which is located under Applications. It is a nice tool for your system which gives you all the information about everything on your system. Just run it and then checkout the file which are currently working in your system. It is somewhat similar to task manager.

It is a Mac utility and this particular application gives a list of all open applications and tasks in progress. Along with this it also provide information on the percentage of used memory and CPU percentage. This application will allow you to better understand how OS X works and what applications are using up your memory along with the processor power consumption .

Run the tool and then in the column of operation you an see the full list of open applications. Some are showed with the icon and the tasks currently performed by the system. You can then click on that to know more about the application. Then CPU part will indicate the percentage of the processing power for each open application. Thus, at the time of capture this screen, the application Activity Monitor using 0.8% of the power of my processor.

I use a specific widget for that. The activity monitor contains the equivalent information as compare to them. You can simply put them in Dashboard . I am using iStat Nano and a higher version iStat pro for that. They run in the background and brings out a lot of important information about the activity Your Mac. Usage of the processor, RAM, fan speed, temperature Mac , duration of use thereof, and even a reminder about the state of the battery for MacBook and MacBook Pro.

I will recommend you to use Hijackthis tool. This application scans your system and find out all the current process in your system. Later on it generates a log file which can be exported to any text format. You can go through that file and find out the exact location of the suspicious file running in your system. This also helps to trace the file location and application associated to that.

Yes I will also advice to use Hijackthis. It is very nice and handy tool. But I am not sure weather this works on Mac or not. There is a other way fo that. Like if you want information quickly about the current process then just right-click on the Dock icon which will bring up a menu. In the menu, go to Dock Icon and in the drop down menu you can simply select the activity report that will appear in the Dock instead of the application icon .