Thread: How to Set up Airport Extreme with AT&T Westell 327w ?

How to Set up Airport Extreme with AT&T Westell 327w ?

Please help me Setting up Airport Extreme with AT&T Westell 327w router. I have a Macbook running on Mac OS 10.5 and is connected to the Westell 327w wireless router for accessing Internet. Now I want to connect Airport extreme to the router so that other devices such as Scanner and printer can connect to the network. I dont have much of an idea of networking and hence I need your help. Thanks in advance.

Re: How to Set up Airport Extreme with AT&T Westell 327w ?

According to me you will not be able to connect the Westell router to the Airport Extreme due to compatibility issue. As you want to connect the scanner and printer to the network, you can directly connect the printer/scanner to the Westell router using wireless connection. Wireless router will provide the same functionality as the Airport Extreme. Detect the wireless network from the printer and connect it. Remove the password authentication before connecting the printer.

The best solution according to me for your problem is to contact the network engineers of AT&T and get the router and Airport extreme configured. If the engineers are not available, then you can contact the customer support of AT&T and get the required configuration for connecting the router and the Airport extreme. Configure the router according to the settings provided and see if the network works or not.

For connecting the Airport extreme to the Westell router you will have to do certain modifications in the configuration of the router. The Airport extreme should be made to be used as a wireless router while the Westell router has to be configured in bridge mode. Once the Westell router is put into bridge mode, it will only maintain connectivity to the Internet while the routing of the connection will be done by the Airport Extreme.

Thanks for replying to the post really fast. Can you guide me through the process which you have mentioned above. Will putting the router in the bridge mode, really help in accessing internet wirelessly using Airport extreme? If yes then how do I put the router in bridge mode? Please help

To configure the Airport extreme in the Bridge mode, you will have to disable the DHCP running on the Airport extreme. The router will be responsible for running DHCP. Once the DHCP is disabled on the Airport extreme, it will work in bridge mode which will enable you to connect the Airport extreme to the Wired router without problem.

Yes configuring the Airport Extreme in bridge mode really helped in solving the problem. As suggested, I disabled the DHCP on the Airport express and enabled it on the Router. The Airport express started to work in bridge mode which enabled me to connect the printer and scanner to the Airport express without any problems.