Thread: WiFi trouble with Verizon and Westell 7500 router

WiFi trouble with Verizon and Westell 7500 router

Hello there, I have recently subscribed for Verizon DSL service which is provided by a Westell 7500 router. I have a desktop computer and a Macbook Pro which I want to connect to the router for sharing the same connection. The desktop computer works properly with the Westell router as it is connected to the router using an Ethernet cable but the Macbook is not able to connect to the router using Wifi. I am not a networking person and hence if anybody here knows how to solve WiFi problem with Verizon and Westell 7500 router then please suggest some solutions. Any help is highly appreciated.

Re: WiFi trouble with Verizon and Westell 7500 router

First of all check if the sharing of the same connection between multiple computers is supported by the service provider which you are using. Sharing of same connection between two computers is not supported by many of the service providers and if any hardware is implemented for sharing the internet connection it will not work. Hence contact the customer support cell of the ISP and confirm if the sharing is allowed or not.

If the Macbook which you are using is new, then I would suggest that you take the Macbook to the nearest Apple service center and get it checked. Lot of the apple users have found that the Wireless connection on the Macbook is not working properly. It could be because of faulty hardware, hence getting the Macbook checked by the Apple technician would be really helpful.

DHCP assigns the IP address to the computers which are connected to the router using wifi. Restart the DHCP on the router as I suspect it has some problems. To restart the DHCP on the router you will require the default IP address of the router which you can find out from the user manual of the router. After restarting the DHCP on the router, check the performance of the router.

Check if the network is password is protected. Sometimes the MAC systems do not connect to the network which is passsword protected. Hence if the network is password protected, you will have to disable the password protection for the network and check if the Macbook is able to connect to the network or not.

yes the network is password protected and after disabling the password protection, I was able to connect the Macbook to the router without any problems. But I want the network to be password protected. Is there any alternative solution for this problem?

Try to append the password with a $ or a & sign and then try to connect to the network. I used to face the same problem which was solved by following the steps mentioned above. You can also enabling the MAC filtering on the router and remove the password protection on the router which will enable the computers who's Mac address is known to the router.

Which password do I add the $ to -- the modem's administrative password, or the password to my wireless network (or something else)?

Also, does it matter whether the password protection is WEP or WPA?