Thread: Help adding client for windows 2003 server

Help adding client for windows 2003 server

Ok, I created a server from windows 2003 and added active directory. I created a primary zone by the name Testdomain.firstattempt and now I need to put my other computer running XP onto the network by setting up the client/server. How do I do this. Also, this is at my house, which means I do not have a static IP and my server is connected through the internet by means of a wireless router. I think I can do this but just not sure how. All I want is a local server just for the computers and users in my household but at the same time learn this stuff...please no "just setup a workgroup" answers. Thanks!

Re: Help adding client for windows 2003 server

To change the computer name, to join a domain, or to add a computer description for a Windows XP-based computer, use the Computer Name tab in the System Properties dialog box. To locate this tab, use one of the following methods:

• Click Start, right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
    • Click Start, click Run, type sysdm.cpl, and then click OK.
    • Click Start, click Control Panel, double-click Performance and Maintenance, and then click System.

I've done this but it says it can't find the domain. I'm not sure why...any other suggestions?

It sounds like a DNS issue. Are you able to ping the server? You can just try to change the dns of the pc trying to join the domain to the IP of the server and also make sure that AD and DNS are installed on the server too. If you want to check whether they are installed or not, then try to click start then configure your server.

Thanks, I'll try that and let you know

ok, so i have an ip address of 192.168.1.8, my default subnet, and my gateway is 192.168.1.1......my DNS is 127.0.0.1.....so why is this not working. now I don't have my server connected directly to my modem. I want to use this as a type of internal server separate from my network. My AD and DNS are both installed. Any suggestions on what the problem is? sorry for the lack of knowledge on my part but that is one thing I'm trying to fix with all of this too! Thanks

I did ping and traceroute and it can't locate the server. I'm not sure why as I did type in an IP for my server. Any other suggestions?

Did you try to create a profile folder (you can call it whatever you want) in the shares (Server console)
    Minimum permissions:
    Create a folder on the Small Business Server using create a new share wizard with custom permissions:
    • Open the folder properties and ensure that the domain Users group has Read & Execute, List Folder Contents, and Read permissions.
    • Share the folder. Grant the Everyone group Change and Read permissions.
    • Click the Sharing tab and click the Offline Settings button.
    • Select the “Files or programs from the share will not be available offline” option.
    • These are the general settings for everyone.

Now you have to decide who uses roaming profiles: Set these settings in the users section of the server console.>double click user>Proile tab>Profile path: enter \\servername\the name of the share you created for the profiles\%username% (This will enter the right username for you automatically.

Okay, i tried all that and still no go. But I did ping/tracert my 127.0.0.8 and my laptop DOES see this but DOES NOT see the "testdomain.firstattempt" or the direct IP of "192.168.0.8"....So the only thing I can figure is that my DNS server may not be conf correctly. Or, ....Do i need AD installed on my laptop?? If so how do I do that? I'm not thinking I do, but this is getting frustrating at why I can't see my domain from my client computer. infact I can't even login through the login page or input my domain from my client.

I appreciate the help and any more insight would be excellent! thanks

Did you check thoroughly to make sure the authorized domains is correct in the edge server configuration, Also is the edge server behind a firewall? of so what type? Also be aware that internal clients use Kerberos for authentication, while remote user clients use NTLM. From the trace log, it looks like the REGISTER request is reaching the home server but the credentials are being rejected.