Thread: MacBook airport keeps disconnecting and reconnecting to home network

MacBook airport keeps disconnecting and reconnecting to home network

I have a small home network configured which consist of Linksys router, 1 Macbook pro and 1 Windows laptop running on Windows 7. The problem which I am facing is that MacBook airport keeps disconnecting and reconnecting to the home network. Is this because of any hardware failure? If anybody knows how to solve the problem then please share some information about the same.

Re: MacBook airport keeps disconnecting and reconnecting to home network

Linksys router which you are using must be configured properly in order to maintain the network connectivity with all the devices. Open the configuration page of the router and see if the router is configured according to the settings provided by the ISP or not. If some settings are wrong, make the necessary changes and save the configuration. Reboot the router and check the network performance.

Are the drivers for the network interface card installed and working properly on the system? The network interface card will not work, if the appropriate drivers are not installed and working on the system. Update the drivers for the network card if needed and then see if disconnection from the network continues or not.

As the Airport connectivity is not working, try and connect the Macbook to the router using the Ethernet port. Take a Cat 5 STP cable and insert it in the Ethernet port of the Macbook. Connect the other end to the empty port on the router. Configure the IP address of the Macbook and then see if the disconnection continues.

I was also facing the same problem with the Mac which I a using. The iMac used to get disconnected every 5 minutes. I tried many solutions to solve the problem and finally I found out the problem was due to the operating system installed on the computer. Leopard which was installed on the computer was creating problems which was solved after updating the operating system. Hence update the operating system and see if the problem continues.

I think you will have to disable the IPv6 support of Windows 7 and then connect the computers to the network. By default Windows 7 works on IP version 6 which may conflict with the IP version of the network if it is working on version 4. Therefore disable the IPv6 support of Windows 7 by going to the TCP/IP properties of the computer and removing the check mark from the option which says "Enable IPV6 support" and save the settings. Now check the performance of the computer.

Disabling the IPv6 support of Windows 7 really helped in solving the issue. I suspect that IPv6 was conflicting in the proper working of the network due to which Macbook was disconnecting frequently. After disabling the IPv6 support, macbook is does not get disconnected. Thanks for all the help provided.