Thread: Network Connectivity blues in Windows 7 , Windows Xp was easier!! Help here ?

angry Network Connectivity blues in Windows 7 , Windows Xp was easier!! Help here ?

Hi there guys,

I am currently using the Tataindicom Broadband WiMax plan . I got myself a new laptop ( yes the Acer Aspire 5740G with 1 GB ati hd5650 yumm ) and it has windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit. I am liking Windows 7 very much, thank you Microsoft. But I have a problem and a query here.
    Whenever my LAN cable is dislodged and looses connection to the port for sometime , i have noticed that I am unable to connect to the net anymore. Samething happens if I restart my machine . Now in Windows XP I could simply disable the LAN (right click on blinking computers , disable! ) and wait for sometime and ReEnable the LAN connection ( clicking on the LAN shortcut icon !! ) and voila all was good! But in Windows 7 ( and in Vista too ) I have to reset the modem (power off and power on) and that is the only thing which brings back the connection . I would have hoped the Windows7 and Vista having better networking features and stuff, but this is just plain silly!! Something which can be achieved so simply in XP is such a bother in these two OS ...

Have any of you ever faced this issue ? I hope so , because I would so hate to be the only one in a fix here!! Is there any way out of this ?

Looking forward to your suggestions / replies / rants :-)

Regards!!

Re: Network Connectivity blues in Windows 7 , Win Xp was easier!! Help here ?

Have you tried going into Control Panel > Network and Sharing Center > Troubleshoot Problems > Internet Connections and allowing Windows 7 to automatically diagnose and repair the problem? You can also try to assign a static ip to your PC to avoid frequent disconnections. This is all done from the network adapter.

From the start menu, go to:
    Control Panel
    Network and Internet
    Network and Sharing Center
    On the right hand pane of Network and Sharing Center
    Change adapter settings
    Double Click your network adapter
    Select the "Details" radio button
    Write down the following lines:
    Connection Specific DNS (May or may not exist, depends on provider)
    IPv4 Subnet
    IPv4 Default Gateway
    IPv4 DNS Servers

By the way are you using any router?

^^ thanks for the response.

Yes I had tried troubleshooting network connectivity many times,but to no avail. It always says unable to reach your modem, try resetting it.

I am not sure which modem Tataindicom Broadband uses , but here are the rest of the details you asked for :-

Reset the TCP/IP stack go to this article and either click on "Fix it for me" or follow the instructions to fix it yourself:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357

The reset command is available in the IP context of the NetShell utility. Follow these steps to use the reset command to reset TCP/IP manually:

1. To open a command prompt, click Start and then click Run. Copy and paste (or type) the following command in the Open box and then press ENTER:
    cmd

2. At the command prompt, copy and paste (or type) the following command and then press ENTER:
    netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt

Note If you do not want to specify a directory path for the log file, use the following command:
    netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt

3. Reboot the computer.

Ok I will try this out. thanks.