Thread: Question about Dual Gigabit LAN

Question about Dual Gigabit LAN

I am having a serious question related to Dual Gigabit LAN. I have decided to finally connect my second LAN connection to check what I can do with it. Is there any method to use both at the same time for speeding up my connection?
    Any related reply for Dual Gigabit LAN will be greatly appreciated.

Re: Question about Dual Gigabit LAN

Like multiple-input and multiple-output over the Ethernet. As far as I know there are no such methods available. It would be great if there is any such method available. The only possible use of dual LAN ports is for connecting two networks at once and for sharing you internet connection to other computer system.

I have also thought about connecting dual gigabit connections to or from my computer system, but have to find another computer system that is capable of doing this. According to me you can connect two lines together for bridging the connection. It is an option given when you right click on Network properties.

Bridging will help you to connect two LANs not for double your internet bandwith. When downloading a single file, the connection is made via one of the lines to one of the IPs the computer is assigned, and it is not aware of the second line’s connection or computer’s second IP. You can do the bridging doing the following steps.

In the Network Connections folder, a connection for each network adapter is displayed. Click the connection for the wireless NIC. In the Details pane, you should see that it's successfully connecting to your network. You will see that the one used in this example has been assigned an IP address by our DHCP server and the address is in our network's range.

Clicking the other connection for the Ethernet adapter shows that it has an IP address beginning with 169 this is an automatic private address assigned to computers that are not connected to the Internet.

Next click both network connections (if you have several segments, hold down the Ctrl key and click all the connections that correspond to all the LAN segments you want to bridge), right-click one, and then click Bridge Connections.

I have heard that they are planning to bring multiple-input and multiple-output over for window vista but they are not thinking of doing this for the window XP, which is not good. I know that for most of the people it is worthless to have gigabit up and the gigabit down separately.

Well if you link two NIC’s together then it will be treated as one NIC card and their performance will be double according to the theory. You will still face problem in through you internet connection, but you will get a faster rate of LAN transfer. Dual gigabit is normally handy for the things such as DIY firewalls, networks, bridging or the servers stuff similar to failover or joining the link for high performance.

Actually I need the explanation related to Dual Gigabit Ethernet; I mean I want to know how this works. As per my understanding, the controller uses one LAN port for the purpose of incoming traffic and the other one is for the purpose of outgoing traffic. The thing which I have understood is that this makes the things to work in an efficient manner and hence the result is quicker.