Thread: Combine multiple ftp servers to increase upload speed

Combine multiple ftp servers to increase upload speed

I am searching for a method to combine more than one ftp server to one ftp server. The reason why I would do this is to increase upload speed. I am currently carrying three servers placed on three separate locations. On all locations, I have a broadband connection with 392 kbps upload, that is much slow.

I decided to create a folder on every server, having same data (I will search for software who can synchronize these folders constantly). May be somebody has perform this before ? I need to create an ftp server who looks like a simple ftp server but uploads parts of the files from each location. Any guidance or suggestions are welcome!

You started with a very talented thinking but you know It is possible in theory but the stock FTP protocol are not compatible to perform the functionality with this. It is the trick behind things like BitTorrent, however. With schemes such this the download is "distributed" across more than one servers, in theory as many as you desired. Perhaps rather than using FTP you should go to think about this option.

Want to increase upload speed

Hello,

I am working on a PHP based application and need to know about some terms that I need to implement . I am using php script to upload file. Some times, if file size is getting so large near about (1GB) it consumes too much time to
    upload. Can anybody suggest me the method to increase upload speed. ????????

In the provided OP's statement that is related to the size of files involved (over a gig) I think the option of protocol is not going to be an enormous help.

To the OP, there is nothing that you can do in PHP to improve your scenario that you need to do , the PHP script would not even start to run until the file upload is finished or fails. The only method to get quick uploading is to fork out for a faster net connection, and for a faster net connection for the server if that's not quick enough to keep up.

Re: Combine multiple ftp servers to increase upload speed

Yeah, There is no especial cause that FTP would be quicker than HTTP either: Any speed problem would be down to the FTP server against the HTTP server, which are both sucking bytes and pumping them into few form of temporary storage through a TCP connection. However the web server may be interpreting the data stream as it comes in. And PHP may perform the similar task.

If the user is placed on ADSL, or another asymmetrical protocol, it will be far
    slower to upload as well.

hi,

you may try to setup ftp in iis7 with 2 servers of windows 2008 with windows network loadbalancing configured. You connect to the cluster ip of the load balancsed servers & upload.

Dr. V Guest

Hi all,

I got your thread and consider the whole discussion that you all made within the brilliant way. Actually, there is. HTTP adds some advance bytes to each transmission that ftp does not. So FTP would be more efficient and faster. Not much, I would suggest you only. But on a 1GB file it's possible it would be noticeable.

Thanks for better discussion.

Thank a lot to you all for your special and intelligent views. There is one thing that I need to tell you is that, I have committed following changes to php.ini file for application specific purpose.

Upload_max_filesize=2047MB
    post_max_size= 2047MB

I am going to upload file to apache web server. So what I should perform now to speed up my uploading process (in case, file size is 1GB or more than that).....