Thread: The DSA operation is unable to proceed because of a DNS lookup failure

Satyrs Guest

The DSA operation is unable to proceed because of a DNS lookup failure

Hello there, I am facing a weird problem while using DCPROMO to demote a domain controller to a member server. When I try to demote the domain controller, to member server it gives an error saying "The DSA operation is unable to proceed because of a DNS lookup failure." I am not able to figure out why I am facing such problems with the DCPROMO and hence need your help. Any help is highly appreciated.

Re: The DSA operation is unable to proceed because of a DNS lookup failure

According to me there is some problem with the operating system which you are using. The proper operation of the operating system is dependent on lot of files. If any of the file which is associated to the operating system is missing or corrupt on the system then the operating system will give such problems. Therefore I would suggest that you try and install the operating system on the computer again and see if the problem is solved or not.

I would suggest that you uninstall the Active directory and install it again using DCPROMO. It is possible that the active directory installed on the system is giving such problems and hence reinstalling the Active directory will solve the problem. To remove active directory from the computer, click on start and select run. Type DCPROMO and wait for the installer to load. Do not select any option and click on next. Provide the Administration username and password. Click on Next. On the verification screen, click on Next and then restart the computer. Once the computer restarts, reinstall the Active directory using DCPROMO and check if the same problem persists or not.

There are many reasons for a DNS failure which generates such an error message. The prime reason for the above mentioned problem can be due to Improper DNS Suffix Handling. Such a situation occurs when the resolver obtains the DNS suffix from one of several places. Hence I would suggest that you contact your network administrator and get the DNS configuration checked. Reconfiguring the DNS should solve the problem according to me.

Satyrs Guest

I tried to uninstall and then install the Active directory again on the computer, but it did not solved the problem. It still gives the same error when I am trying to demoter the Domain controller to the member server. What could be the reason behind this problem? Is there any other solution for solving the issue? Please help.

I had a similar issue a while ago: I think I resolved the issue with command dcdiag /fix
    When this has run verify no errors and then attempt to demote again using dcpromo.

Hi,

You are getting the error because of the DNS issue. Check if all the zones in the dns exists properly & the ip address is proper in the DNS A Records of the domain.

Otherwise you can remove it forcefully through the below command

dcpromo/forceremoval