Thread: Alfa AWUS036H and VMware with wicd

Alfa AWUS036H and VMware with wicd

Hello everyone,
    I am trying to connect the wicd BT4 but I am getting the following error :
    It taps into a shell:
    update-rc.d wicd defaults
    then
    / Etc / init.d / wicd start
    Also I am not anything about the wicd. So, please explain me about it. For some reason wicd won't list any APs.Tried iwconfig and see that indeed wlan0 was up. Need your help very badly....

Re: Alfa AWUS036H and VMware with wicd

Wicd is an applet similar to NetworkManager , more intuitive and easy to use. Where it seems to be laboring to obtain an IP address on many wireless networks, Wicd uses the ifconfig and iwconfig usual and it usually happens much better. Wicd manages wired and WiFi networks to automate the different configurations and verify the quality of the WiFi network. However, contrary to NetworkManager, Wicd does not allow management of VPN (OpenVPN and VPNC) and certain types of encryption.

When installing Wicd, Network-manager is uninstalled. Do not panic, is to avoid a conflict between the two software. Beware though: as you uninstall Network-manager, if Wicd does not work, you have no network manager and therefore not to reinstall it. Download the .Deb on sourceforge to solve the problem easily. Thinking write your WEP or WPA before uninstalling Network-manager to be able to enter Wicd.

Copy these instructions to Network-manager can reinstall from the installation CD in case of problem :
    Code:
     sudo apt-cdrom add
     sudo apt-get update
     sudo apt-get install network-manager

Wicd uses wpa_supplicant to connect to secure networks. If you have problems with WPA since log Wicd you need to configure the driver WPA. For example, if you use the following command :
    wpa_supplicant-B-i eth1-D-c ** ** wext file.conf
    The pilot is taking shape and has wext from the applet: Preference → WPA Supplicant driver.

I would like to discuss about some precautions that should be taken while installing the wicd. If you install the version of the deposits, it is advisable to keep a customer. Wicd deb somewhere on your hard drive, to avoid finding yourself without NetworkManager nor Wicd (and therefore unable to reinstall the lack of connection) more improper handling. Hope that it helps you while installing.

When a network profile is registered without name, Wicd modifies its configuration file / etc / wicd / wired-settings.conf by inserting a mistake! Therefore the wicd-client can not boot. Start by removing the line "[]" / etc / wicd / wired-settings.conf by opening the file with administrator privileges, then be sure to attach a name each time you create a profile, network through Wicd.