Thread: Blocking IP port on Cisco Router

Blocking IP port on Cisco Router

Hello there, I have a Cisco 3600S router. The problem which I am facing is I am not able to block the Netbios ports on the router. I dont want my WAN network such as frame relay to access the Netbios ports so if anybody knows the procedure for blocking IP port on Cisco Router, then please share the procedure. Any suggestions/solutions are more than welcome. Thanks in advance.

Re: Blocking IP port on Cisco Router

The procedure and commands for blocking the Netbios ports on the Cisco router will be available in the user manual which is available with the router. The user manual for the router is available with it. Hence refer the user manual and check out the procedure for blocking the ports from the WAN network. You can also contact the CISCO customer support for providing the required help.

The network which you are using must be a live network. Hence any changes in it can cause the network to go down and hence I would suggest that you contact your network administrator and get the ports of the router blocked from the WAN ports. The network administrator must be knowing the exact commands and procedure for blocking the ports which will ensure that the network is not affected. Hope the post helps.

Refer the user manual and get the default IP address of the router. Enter the default IP address of the router in the address bar of the browser and hit enter. Provide the authentication information for the router and open the configuration page. In the configuration page, block the ports from the WAN network and then save the configuration. Reboot the router and see if the Netbios ports are blocked from the WAN ports.

There is no way in which the ports can be blocked by changing the configuration of the router. The only way to block the ports of the router is to create an access list for the router. In the access list just block the ports which you want to and save it. Once the access list is made and implemented, the WAN ports will not be able to access the NetBIOS ports.

Yes I know that the specific ports on the router can be blocked by using the Access list but I dont know how to implement the access list on specific ports of the router. So if anybody here can help me in implementing the access list on specific ports then it would be really helpful. Please help.

You will have to Block the following ports on the network. Create an Access list which blocks the following ports 135, 137, 139, and 445 for both incoming and outgoing traffic. Implementing the access list in following manner will block the following ports for both incoming and outgoing traffic.