Thread: Auto map network drive on VPN connect

Auto map network drive on VPN connect

I have a lot of computer in my network connected to a single server. I want to set it up in such a way that if a user connect to the VPN it will automatically map to the network drive. My intention is that we don't want to go to each and every persons computer to map the drive. So is there any way to get it done automatically?

Re: Auto map network drive on VPN connect

You can create a batch including auto vpn plus mapping. In the script, you provide all the steps to connect to vpn connection and then use "net use" command to map the network drive. But make sure you have netbios enabled over TCP.

There is 2 ways, first is you get connected to VPN connection as you do usually and then run a batch file from the user's computer to map the network drive. Or you go to login box, connect using a dial up connection and get connected to VPN before login process completes and then a script runs from the server which may even include drive mapping.

But why do you want to do that automatically, you can even do that manually and it hardly takes few minutes to map a network drive? You can have some automation for connecting VPN but mapping a network drive is very simple, a small command is enough to get a drive mapped.

Try
    net use Z: "\\server\share" password /USER:Userid
    Make sure you give the correct path of the drive and folder and also provide the correct username and password to avoid any errors.

I would add certain points in support of Connect_Me. If your main concern is to map a drive, go to command prompt and type
    Code:
    net  use  x:  \\ServerName\ShareName
    where servername is the name of the server on which the file/folder is present and the sharename is the name of the drive to which you want to map. If you are unsure about the server name then you can even use the IP address of the server such as "192.168.1.1\ShareName"

Create this file in any editor and save it with .bat extension.

I'll grant that mapping a network drive is quite easy. I think what has been forgotten, though, is that most users don't care to bother with those "easy geek things." Automatically mapping network drives will certainly keep all those C-level users happy, and that's what we IT professionals are supposed to do.