Thread: How to use Belkin Router as a Switch?

How to use Belkin Router as a Switch?

I have a Belkin F5D5230-4 Router and i want to know that how can i use this router as a switch.I just know that i have to disable DHCP but even after doing that i am able to connect with the other computers on my network. Can anybody tell me what are the steps to use your Belkin F5D5230-4 Router as a switch.

Re: How to use Belkin Router as a Switch?

I would like to ask you that does your router can work as a switch or not and if it can work as a switch then you just have disable the DHCP then you just have to use as much as ports you want to use. The number ports available on your router would be giving an internet connection to the same number of computer system. There is nothing much hard to make your Router as a switch.

You have to buy a new switch and then connect that switch to your Belkin router. Once you have connected your router with the switch and once your router turns on then an internet provided by your router would be distributed to the all the clients which are connected to the switch.
    Main usage of switch is the same and if you have router which can work as switch then you can do it directly, just disable the DHCP.
    I'm the Proud Owner of the most dangerous weapon
    known to man kind: Human Brain

I have connected cat 5 to the linksys wrt54g wireless which in fact has been connected to my Verizon router which has a FIOS coming from outside. One main line goes to the downstairs. I am using some computer at downstairs and some at the upstairs. All the computer are connected and have never faced any problem. Hope my network connection would be helping you in one or another way.

First of all connect your router with the another one and make sure that you do not use WAN port. Now put the piece of tape over the WAN port so that you never use it. Now FiOS system would be handling the DHCP for your clients and your router would be acting as a switch. But note that you would be out of ports for which you have to buy a switch.

Here i have given the steps to configure second router as switch.
    1. Connect first router's LAN port with the second's LAN port using crossover cable. Do not make any connections with the second router’s WAN or Internet port.
    2. Suppose your first router's LAN IP is 192.168.1.1 with subnet mask 255.255.255.0 which acts as a gateway for entire network. You should enable the DHCp on only first router.
    3. Give Second router an IP by configuring an IP and subnet mask from the LAN setting. The IP that you configure should be located on subnet same with first router's subnet and make sure that an IP is a unique one.
    4. Never enable DHCP or any other settings on second router.
    5. If you have some other system which can obtain IP automatically then connect it to other LAN port of this new "network switch", And then ping router IP and access to internet.

Connecting two SOHO broadband routers together. Configure the IP address of the secondary router to be in the same subnet as the primary router, but out of the range of the DHCP server in the primary router. For instance DHCP server addresses 192.168.0.2 through 192.168.0.100, I'd assign the secondary router 192.168.0.254 as it's IP address. Disable the DHCP server in the secondary router. Setup the wireless section just the way you would if it was the primary router. Connect from the primary router's LAN port to one of the LAN ports on the secondary router. If there is no uplink port and neither of the routers have auto-sensing ports, use a cross-over cable. Leave the WAN port unconnected!

First of all make sure that your computers are set to "obtain their Ip addresses automatically".
    1. Connect your computer with the second router’s LAN ports which you want to make a switch.
    2. Restart that computer.
    3. Login on in the second router.
    4. Change the router’s internal Ip address.
    If am IP of first router is 192.168.0.1 and the DHCP address pool is 192.168.0.2 to 192.168.0.50, then you have to change an IP of second router to 192.168.0.235.