Thread: Macbook pro's Wifi card not working with BT4

Macbook pro's Wifi card not working with BT4

Please help me in solving this problem. I have a Macbook Pro running on Mac OS X 10.4 which is installed with VMware fusion. I use Backtrack 4 with the help of Vmware but I am facing a small issue with it. My Macbook pro's Wifi card is not working with BT4. I cant figure out what is causing such problem and hence need your help in solving the issue. Is my wireless card faulty? Please help.

Re: Macbook pro's Wifi card not working with BT4

There is a high possibility that the network card which is installed on the Macbook is faulty due to which it is not working in Backtrack 4. NIC is responsible for establishing and maintaining connection to the network. If the NIC is faulty then you will not be able to access the network. To check the NIC of the computer, ping 127.0.0.0 and check the data packer loss during sending and receiving. If there are any losses in data sent and received then you will have to replace the NIC as it is faulty.

Perform a SMC reset on the Macbook and see if the wireless card is working on the Macbook. All the Macbooks which are powered by Intel processors have a SMC to control all the lower level functions. Hence you will need to perform the SMC reset to bring the Macbook to working state. To perform a SMC reset, shut down the computer and remove the battery from the macbook. Press and hold the power button of the Macbook. Release the button after 40 seconds and replace the battery. Check if the Macbook is working properly.

Have you checked the drivers which are installed on the computer? All the devices which are connected to the computer require a set of drivers to be installed to work properly. Drivers are translators between the operating system and the device. If the appropriate drivers are not installed then the device will not work properly. Hence check if the drivers for the network adapter are installed and working properly. You can also try and update the drivers for the network adapter.

There are lot of files which are associated to the operating system. If any of the file which is associated to the operating system is missing or corrupt then the operating system will not work properly. Therefore I would suggest that you install the Backtrack operating system again and see if the wireless card is working properly or not.

All the functions which are performed by the computer are controlled by the Logic board. Hence if the logic board itself is faulty then the system will not work properly. Therefore I would suggest that you get the logic board of the computer checked by some technician. If the logic board is found to be faulty, get the logic board of the macbook replaced and check if the system is working properly or not.

Try removing the residual charge from the Macbook and see if the system is able to access the wireless card or not. If the residual charge stored in the portable device reaches a threshold level then the system will not be able to access some devices connected to it. To remove the residual charge from the Macbook, shut down the laptop and remove the battery. Press and hold the power button for about 30 seconds. Replace the battery and see if the laptop is working properly.