Thread: MacBook Pro VMWare Fusion/USB wireless necessary?

MacBook Pro VMWare Fusion/USB wireless necessary?

I need some help with the issue which I am facing. I want to use Backtrack 3 on the Macbook Pro which is installed with Mac OS X 10.4 on it. I have heard that Wireless card does not work while using BackTrack 3 on Macbook. Therefore I want to know if USB wireless adapter is necessary for Backtrack on Macbook? Also Can I boot Backtrack system from the external drive? Please help.

Re: MacBook Pro VMWare Fusion/USB wireless necessary?

You can use the internal Wireless card of the Macbook while using Backtrack on the system. Backtrack is an operating system and hence all the devices of the computer will be usable and accessible to it. Therefore I would suggest that you install Back Track 3 final on the Macbook and use it as it will not give any problems while working.

Yes the Back track operating system can be booted directly from the external hard drive. The priority for the external storage media is higher than the Internal hard drive. Hence you can directly connect the hard drive to the Macbook while booting. As the priority for the USB drive is higher the operating system will boot from the external hard drive.

For the Backtrack operating system to be work on the Macbook, you will have to install a virtual machine software on the Macbook. Using a Virtual machine software, you will be able to use all the features of Backtrack on the Macbook. You can download and install VMware on the Macbook which is a Virtual machine software. After installing Vmware on the Macbook, select the drive from which you want to boot the operating system. Hope the post helps.

Hey thanks for replying to the post really fast. As suggested I installed the VMware on the Macbook and tried to boot Backtrack 3 from the external drive but the VMware does not detects the external drive and hence I cannot boot the Backtrack operating system. Is there something which I am missing? Please guide me through.

You will have to install Backtrack on the internal hard drive of the macbook, in order to boot the system using Backtrack. The VMware application will only detect the internal hard drive and hence the operating system should be installed on the internal hard drive. If the operating system is installed on the external hard drive then the Vmware software will not be able to detect it and hence will not start the operating system. Install it on the internal hard drive and then check if it helps.

Even if you install the Backtrack operating system on the internal hard drive of the Macbook and then try to boot the system using Backtrack, You will not be able to access the internal wireless card. To access the network, you will require a Wireless USB adapter. Vmware is not able to access the internal wireless card and hence Wireless USB adapter is the solution.