Thread: Backtrack Wifi problem

Backtrack Wifi problem

Hello,
    I am new in Back Track 3 and General Linux. I would like to use this OS to test different attacks on the networks we create classes. This will also allow me to familiarize myself with the Linux world and discover the full potential of this OS. I have an Eee PC 901 and I created a bootable USB key with BackTrack 3 in editing "syslinux.cfg" for BT3 appears correctly on my screen. As explained in the tutorial on installing BT3, I created my partitions and I've formatted. I am now downloading the install, I just can not connect to my wifi! Via wlassistant I see networks around me but I can not connect to it. Any help regarding this is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Re: Backtrack Wifi problem

Hello,
    Even I do have a similar kind of a problem.I can now connect to a WiFi.
    I typed:
    Code:
    dhcpcd ra0-n then I started wlassistant.
    There it connects to my neighbor's network (unsecured, in the first the list) but when I try to connect to mine or another, it gives me the same error. I saw that there was a way to add "pre-order" in the options of my wireless network. So I added dhcpcd-n but this does still not always the same error. Any help is appreciated.

Hello,
    wlassistant (and perhaps even wpa_supplicant) seem buggy in backtrack 3: it can not obtain information using DHCP. Try to configure everything by hand (so I was obliged to do) or better: try back track 4. And just for info: installing BT3 in drive is not recommended in the general case. If you need more information regarding this topic then you can post back.

Hello,
    Or worse, you connect the console, it's not very complicated, and it is the kind of thing that is supposed to work under any distribution. You can even make you a little shell script to automate all this. Apart from that as said in the above post, the installation disk is not really for, I will advice instead of making you a live usb persistent.

Hello,
    But why the installation disk is it not recommended? I had seen it anywhere, BT4 I'll try as you advised me. I just start downloading. Do you think it would be better located Ubuntu on my 901 and I make a bootable SD with back track? I want to start slowly learning Linux is partly why I wanted to install Back Track in Hard. I wanted this version because it is full of interesting programs for my training in networks. I guess I am correct here. If I am wrong then please correct me.

Hello,
    For what is why BT is distributed based security, which means it contains software used, mainly to test the security of a system. What would you do with these software for use every day? I know that with the current high-capacity disks this is not disturbing, but it's a small concern to consider. On the other hand, it lacks many software to make BT a multipurpose distribution. BT has been extensively tested with the set of basic software ... There is no guarantee that everything will work as well after installing Flash codecs, VLC, Deluge, OpenOffice.org, Vim, Gimp, Mplayer, etc.. Some of these are interacted with software tools that will not work so well. BT3 has a rather old kernel ... Same goes for software: it means there are plenty of unpatched security holes waiting to be exploited. Live, it's not disturbing because it will be used only when necessary in a particular context and a reboot and all the work of the intrusion on the system is reduced to nothing.

Hello,
    I agree with the above post. It changes a bit with BT4: the dev team has just moved to a basic Ubuntu for these reasons (officially). But in this case, I tend to say "what is BT4? Anyway, if I install on my disk, I would have to install numerous software for use every day ... Both Ubuntu and install directly to the few tools that I really need". In addition, BT can be used to repair an installation of GNU / Linux on a PC to crash and may allow you to easily connect locally to the you want the PC to which you have access. The Ubuntu repositories are fairly reliable, but not the deposits that I voluntarily choose to use in a distribution-based security.