Thread: How to access 192.168.1.1 modem settings?

How to access 192.168.1.1 modem settings?

Hello there, I have recently got a BSNL subscription on my desktop computer which is running on Windows XP. I have heard that the settings for the router or the modem can be changed for sharing the connection using the default IP of the modem or the router which is 192.168.1.1 but I dont know how to go about it. Therefore if anybody here can explain me How to access 192.168.1.1 modem settings then it would be really helpful, as I want to share the same internet connection on my laptop.

Re: How to access 192.168.1.1 modem settings?

Before changing the configuration of the router, I would suggest that you ask your ISP if sharing of the same connection is allowed or not. Many ISP's do not allow the sharing of same connection between two computers. For preventing sharing of the connection, the ISP's track the MAC address of the devices which are connected. Tracking the MAC addresses help the ISP in differing services to the devices which are connected. If sharing of connection is not allowed by the ISP then there is no use in implementing any hardware solution for sharing the connection.

It is very easy to access the modem/router settings when the default IP address of the device is available. Enter the default IP address of router or modem in the address bar of the browser and hit enter. Provide the authentication information required for logging into the router. Open the configuration of the router and contact the ISP. Get the appropriate settings for the router and configure the router accordingly. Save the settings and reboot the router. Check if the internet is available on the laptop or not.

I entered the default IP address of the router in the browser and logged into the router. I configured the router as per the settings which were provided by the ISP and now the wireless network is visible on the laptop. I can connect to the wireless network but there is no Internet connection on the laptop. I am not able to understand why I am facing such problem and hence need your help. Kindly suggest some solutions.

Have you installed any firewall on the computer? Firewall or any security software which is installed on the computer tends to block any unknown traffic or application which is terminating on the computer. This is reduce the virus threat. But due to such tendency of the software, sometimes the user defined traffic and application are also blocked. Hence try and disable the real time shield of the security software and check if the internet is available.

It is possible that the DHCP which is running on the router is not working properly due to which you are not able to access Internet on the laptop. DHCP is responsible for assigning IP address to all the devices which are connected to the computer using Wireless connectivity. Hence if DHCP on the router is not working then the device will not get IP assigned which will result in such problems. Login to the router and restart the DHCP on the router. After restarting the DHCP on the router, see if the problem is solved.

The network interface card is responsible for establishing and maintaining connection to the network. Hence if the NIC is faulty, the computer will not be able to connect to the network or to maintain the network connection. Check the NIC by pinging the software interface port which is 127.0.0.1 and see if there are any data packet loss. If there are any data packet loss then you will have to replace the NIC as it is faulty.