Thread: Preventing malwares by Firewall

Preventing malwares by Firewall

Hi,
    I have some malware in my system. I had scanned the same and tried to clean it. Now I had not got any detections. I had enabled my firewall which is blocking my own applications. This is quiet irritating. I need some solution here by which I can allow my files to work without stopping the firewall service. I have an antivirus solution also on my system. Thanks in advance.

Re: Preventing malwares by Firewall

To add a port, click on the button below to add a port. A window opens asking you the service name that will appear in the list of exceptions and the port of the latter. Here you can choose the exe file of application and then allow access. By this your firewall will be enabled and your application will too work.Many times on popups it show you option of add this exception.

Have you tried to use FireLogXP. When you install a firewall, you should also read the logs to know the connection attempts, especially if she established on port exotic ports of an application that you not installed, you can then block the IP of the person. For this you can use FireLogXP v1.3 is a utility that allows you to view logs of Windows XP firewall on an interface that is much more readable.

That is right. FireLogXP is a nice solution for your usage. Here you have the option to filter the list on the protocols, connections etc. You have three connection types in it. The first in red the port is open and available to external requests, we can connect, in green the port is not available. The firewall responds and denies the request, it says it is closed and in yellow the port is not visible from the outside. We do not know the status of the port. The firewall does not: it will be indicated in the DROP log of the firewall.

Some malware may try to disable the firewall of XP to make your machine vulnerable. Watch Dog is a utility to prevent disabling XP firewall, again, it gives you a small interface that you can put in the system tray that warns you if the firewall is enabled. IF you have a dynamic IP (IP that changes each reconnection) and if the former owner of that IP had services like a Web server, the reconnection of people can reconnect to that IP thinking that you have a Web server.

You can try Net Traffic Meter. This program allows visualizer in real time, using a network interface with a graphic but also with the amount of data that transition on an interface. It is a simple freeware tool which helps you to keeps an eye on the ongoing services. Other similar solution for further more protection is Zone Alarm. A nice and powerful antivirus tool.

If you want a nice and easy way of dealing with malware then Microsoft Malicious Removal tool. This is a nice malware removal tool for Windows which is capable of finding and removing infection from the system. This is good for preventing malicious software like mydoom, blaster and sasser. On scanning it scans and removes the virus completely.