Thread: Cannot connect to Wireless network using Dell Inspiron 700m

Cannot connect to Wireless network using Dell Inspiron 700m

Hello people, I have a Dell Inspiron 700m laptop which is installed with Windows XP. I have a desktop computer which has Internet connection which is provided by the Netgear Wireless router. I am trying to connect my Dell laptop to the router but I am not able to. It shows that the laptop is connected to the router, but I cannot access Internet on the laptop. Can anybody here explain me why I Cannot connect to Wireless network using Dell Inspiron 700m laptop? Please help.

Re: Cannot connect to Wireless network using Dell Inspiron 700m

The network interface card which is installed on the computer is responsible for establishing and maintaining the connection to the network. If the network interface card on the computer is not working, then the computer will not be able to maintain connectivity to the network. You can test the network interface card on the laptop as follows. Click on Start and select Run. Type "ping 127.0.0.1" and hit enter. If there are any loss in the data sent and received then you will have to replace the Network interface card of the laptop as it is faulty.

All the devices which are connected to the computer require a set of drivers to be installed on the computer to work properly. If the appropriate drivers for the device are not installed on the computer, then the device will not work properly. Hence check if the appropriate drivers for the network adapter are installed and working on the computer. Right click on my computer and select Device manager. Highlight the network adapter and if there are any caution signs then follow the troubleshooting procedure. If troubleshooting does not help, then you will have to update the drivers for the network card.

Scan the system with an updated antivirus as there are high chances that the system is corrupted with some kind of virus. Some virus's have the tendency of getting linked with the files of the operating system or with files of the applications which are used frequently. If such a situation occurs then the computer will not work properly. Therefore scan the system and check for all the files which are infected. Repair or quarantine the files and see if the laptop is able to connect to the router or not. Do not delete any files as it may lead to total system failure.

Before trying to share the same connection between different computers, contact your ISP and get confirm if the sharing of connection is allowed or not. Many of the ISP's do not allow the sharing of internet connection between two computers. For preventing sharing of connection, the ISP's track the Mac address of the computers which are connected. Tracking of Mac addresses helps in differing services to the computers which are connected. If the sharing of connection is not allowed, then there is no use in implementing any hardware solutions for sharing.

According to me the router which you are using must not be configured properly due to which the device is not able to connect to the router. For the router to provide wireless connectivity to all the devices it has to be configured properly. Login to the router and open the configuration page. Check if the router is configured as per the settings provided by the ISP. If there are any changes to be made, do it and save the configuration settings. Once done reboot the router and check the connectivity.

The devices which are connected to the router using Wireless connection are assigned IP address by the DHCP which is running on the router. If the DHCP on the router is not working properly then the devices which are connected will not get the proper IP addresses assigned to it and hence the device will not be able to access all the resources of the network. Disable and then enable the DHCP on the router and see if it works. To disable the DHCP running on the router, login to the router and disable the DHCP. Once the DHCP is disabled, you will have to login to the router again. Go to configuration of the router and enable the DHCP. Save the configuration and restart the router from the maintenance tab. Hopefully it will solve the problem.