Thread: Cost Effect way to secure my flash drive

Cost Effect way to secure my flash drive

Hi,
    I have a external 32GB flash drive in which I carry very important data. I had recently purchased a paid software which showed virus infection. That means my drive is not secure. Usually I am looking for a good software which must be cost effective and the security provided on in must be quiet high. I had tried to search for simple tools but there are not proper which works on all versions of Windows.

Re: Cost Effect way to secure my flash drive

You can use TrueCrypt is a disk encryption tool. It work on Windows XP, 2000, 2003 and of course Vista 32 bit. The disk in question may be a file mounted as a virtual disk or an existing hard drive. The software is geared towards maximum security and data are encrypted on the fly when they are stored. It is a open source tool and a effective also.

In True Crypt when data is encrypted with one of the many available encryption algorithms like Blowfish, AES-256, CAST5, Tripe OF, etc, open the file or hard disk does not appear that the other ' a series of random numbers. Note that in addition to being encrypted volume can also be hidden. The creation of a volume is done through a wizard clear. In use, the encrypted volume is seen by the system as a classical album and has all the features.

TrueCrypt is a very simple software that allows the user to create one or more virtual disk whose data is encrypted in a file container. Just create a container large enough to hold your entire collection, using the wizard provided. Once this file is mounted by TrueCrypt, a new drive letter appears in Windows . Just move the files to protect in this virtual drive and they are automatically encrypted.

More seriously, TrueCrypt allows to easily manage the protection of a large number of files, since the protected space behaves just like a disk. This differentiates example AxCrypt encrypts files one by one. It is even possible to install programs on a whole virtual disk TrueCrypt. The advanced functions include the ability to hide a container within another container.

For advanced users, TrueCrypt can also store encrypted data on a disc or an entire partition (including floppy disks and USB sticks). This adds additional security, because as long as they are not mounted by TrueCrypt, the disk or partition will appear as unformatted media (and it is impossible to distinguish anything). This is the solution I use on my laptop: a 10 GB partition encrypted with TrueCrypt. I store my work files and for example, my personal finance program.

TrueCrypt for encryption offers a selection of the best algorithms known as AES-256 , CAST5 , Serpent (256-bit key), Twofish, etc. It is not possible to encrypt data directly from an existing partition and if you choose to create a hidden partition to NTFS, it is impossible to create a sub-partition. FAT32 prefer limited to 2TO, it should still be sufficient for some time.