Thread: Viruses on a Mac?

Viruses on a Mac?

I wanted to know that is it possible for the Mac users, can they get a virus, spyware and adware on their system. I am running a pure Mac at my home without any of the products from a windows system. If it is no then how can it work? I have heard that there are no possible way for a virus that can infect my system. But i am not sure as i have seen that there are most of the users who complains of the virus infection on mac. Plese confirm me..

Re: Viruses on a Mac?

As i know that having a firewall is necessary to protect your computer and network from the hacker who can steal the data. But the Mac OSX has its own builtin firewall that can be activated in the sharing in System Preferences. It can help you to protect your computer from the hacking of the data in the network where your computer is shared.

You can have some normal pros in relation to the mac protection.

Pros:

1. If you use your computer in a mixed network, the antivirus software can help you to stop you from further virus infection on the network. While in the Mac that can't be infected by a windows virus.
    2. And i know that there is no virus for Mac OSX. Having antivirus software installed on the mac makes you to proactive in your protection.

You can get the reasons for the Macs that doesn't get the viruses:

1. It is UNIX core which is the main reason.
    2. There is a root-level sandboxing of application from one another.
    3. The user cannot run as a root
    4. The user permission requirs for the installation of system-altering programs
    5. The programs cannot gain the admin or the root status without the user's permission

Apple is very quick about the threats and at the fixing of the issues. Most of the viruses are written explicitly for taking the advantage of the weaknesses in the Windows. But the Mac OS X is not a Windows, and it doesn't have the weaknesses, and also it doesn't have many of the serious virus problems as compared to the windows. So i think you don't need to worry and if you want then you can check out with the mac officail website.