Thread: What is Ave.exe?

What is Ave.exe?

Hello, I want to ask about one process which has consumed my CPU in way such that my computer is not performing too slow. Ave.exe process is taking all most all the CPU usage of my computer. Can anybody tell me what this process belongs to and why it is taking such a huge CPU usage? And one more thing that i have been prompting for installing the anti virus program for my windows vista operating system many times so is it happening because of this process?
    Last edited by GracieSingh; 27-03-2010 at 12:44 AM.

Re: What is Ave.exe?

Ave.exe is part of program which shows you window to install an anti virus software. Actually this softwares are fake anti virus program and Ave.exe is also related to one of the fake anti virus. This infection has been seen on almost all the windows operating system. Ave.exe includes programs such as Total XP Security, Total Vista Security, Win 7 AntiMalware 2010, Total Win 7 Security, XP AntiMalware, Vista Security Tool 2010, XP Security Tool 2010, XP Defender Pro, Vista Defender Pro, XP AntiMalware 2010, Vista AntiMalware 2010, XP Smart Security 2010, and Vista Smart Security 2010.

Ave.exe is a malicious process which keeps on giving you the pop ups for installing the fake anti virus software. You should remove this process as soon as possible in order to get rid of annoying pop ups. Once you kill this process then you will realize that those pop ups will stop annoying you. Press Ctrl+Alt+Delete to open a Task Manager from where you can kill this process.

Basically Ave.exe is similar to Av.exe which is also a process to make you installing a anti virus program. Actually this both processes are clones of each other. Ave.exe would be asking you to install the Windows Vista Security to make your computer safe from the viruses but it is after all fake anti virus which redirects you to the malicious web page so do not click on the pop up shown by this process.

I suggest you to scan your full computer by using the anti virus software of your window system so that Ave.exe would get detected. Once it is detected then you have to remove it by using the same tool. If your anti virus program can not detect this malicious process the do not worry i have provided you the link from where you can download the Norton Anti Virus which helps you to remove this virus from your computer.

As you said that ave.exe is there on your computer and it is taking much of your CPU usage then i would like to inform you that Ave.exe process belongs to the Sndog Worm which is a virus in fact. Number of users have complained about this process's performs. Delaying the removal of ave.exe may cause serious harm to your system and will likely cause a number of problems, such as slow performance, loss of data or leaking private information to websites.

Down Re: What is Ave.exe?

I've just gone through a bout with ave.exe and, hopefully, conquered it with the help of my tech guy, Super Mike. It has some nasty habits, such as disabling your anti-virus protection and keeping other exe files from opening (without a lot of "work-around"). It removes the associations between your data files and the programs which should open them. It masquerades as a virus/malware protection program and mimics your OS (XP, Vista, win 7, etc.) security. It tries to get you to buy bogus protection programs.

One writer said "Reformat." That should usually be the very LAST option to solve a problem, after everything else has failed -- especially if you have data files you'd like to keep. Reformatting destroys everything on the hard drive and may not even get rid of this virus. Assume you back up regularly and you can restore those files to the point of your last backup. You probably backed up ave.exe in your Applications Data folder; you'll probably load it back onto the disk again.

Here's what I did:
    1. Called Super Mike and, while waiting, opened Task Manager, found ave.exe running as a process and disabled it.
    2. With the command prompt, found the file in the Applications Data folder and deleted it. Also found an ave*.dll file and deleted it.
    3. Mike came, downloaded MalWare Bytes and rebooted in Safe mode.
    4. He ran a Malware Bytes scan from "Run" on the Star menu; it found a few hundred malware files, which we used it to delete.
    5. He restored the Registry file from a previous copy, to get rid of the reg entries by the virus.

With luck, I'm good, though Outlook seems to have gotten unhooked from my AV software.

Sorry, almost forgot, but here is another handy item, CCleaner. CCleaner is rather useful. For why, well, three reasons why:

(1) you can clean the temp internet folder, temp folder, and repair the registry.

(2) cleaning the temp internet folder and the temp folder should be done WHENEVER, repeat, WHENEVER you terminate an internet session. Going back to ave.exe, that evil thing and some other evil things, not only try to run when first downloaded, but they will be darn sure to do so the next time that you reboot your computer. Cleaning the temp internet and temp folders won't guarantee that the ave.exe won't launch on reboot, but it never hurts to rid yourself, even if only temporarily, of the evil things in the temp folder(s). Review the link I provided from bleeping computer on ave.exe. As you can see, one of the installed files is in the temp folder file. The CCleaner can at least clean that away, again, even if only temporarily.

(3) after you run the FixExe and then the Malwarebytes, and by the way, if you haven't downloaded the Malwarebytes yet, do so now, but after you run the FixExe and Malwarebytes, when you run CCleaner you will see that although they are now inactive, there are still "remnants" of the ave.exe in your registry, and sometimes in your prefetch folder in the Windows folder, etc. So CCleaner can be used after Malwarebytes, to remove any remnants.
    Last edited by slappymcgroundout; 25-04-2010 at 08:02 AM.

cemetbook Guest

dont get confused with ave.exe with av.exe, anyway, ccleaer is pretty good, thanks..