Thread: Printing very slow with Samba

Printing very slow with Samba

Hello,
    I'm having a problem when I print from a post Win XP Pro SP2 on my HP 5550 shared on Samba server (running Mandrake 9.2 / updated Samba 3.0.2a). Everything was going in the best of worlds, sharing files is fine. I have three posts in XP Pro, and the symptoms gradually spread over the 3 machines, I suspect the move to SP2 to be the responsible thing, but ot too keen to turn, and especially, I'd like to understand what's happening. Any help regarding this is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Re: Printing very slow with Samba

Hello,
    I have exactly the same problem since few days with an HP5150. I uninstalled the SP2 (installed from a lease anyway) of Windows to communicate with Samba, it goes a bit faster, but I do not understand just when I submit a report consistent with full print files and source code. By uninstalling SP2 has messed up, so I suspect that the slow despite uninstalling come from there. Any more help regarding this topic is appreciated.

Hello,
    If your printer is very urgent, you can use my hack: you print a file (it must re-install the printer under Windows), and you make a <file> lpr in a shell. Also, if you are using samba on the windows operating system, why not try to use samba on the linux based operating system, by my knowledge it will be more effective there (on the linux based operating system).

Hello,
    I think I have found a solution for this. In fact the problem is well Win XP in the config of the printer (Advanced tab), I changed the option "Spool print docs ..." by "Print directly to printer"And there it works much better ... strange strange. I sniffed the network in 2 cases:

1st case (the problem): 10s catch on, there were 40,000 packets / 26 MB shared between two machines (given that the actual printing starts after 2 or 3 minutes ...)

2nd case (direct printing): 2500 packets / 850 K.
    Please correct me if I am wrong.

Hello,
    When I launch a print from a Windows app, the app freezes in question for a long time (several minutes) Before the printing would eventually start properly. It seems to misfire when the exchange between the two machines, because during these few minutes to gel, LEDs to tranfer my hub on the bottom pedal to mess. I looked at what was lying around in / Var / log / messagesBut nothing too terrible. Then, in Mandrake 9.2 Samba version was 2.2.8, I upgraded by installing the 3.0.2a, not better.