Thread: Reliance Broadband: problem with Static IP with Router

Reliance Broadband: problem with Static IP with Router

I have a Wimax connection on the desktop computer which is running on Windows XP operating system. The engineer of Reliance Wimax connection has given a static IP address to the computer. I am able to access internet on the computer without any problem but when I configure the same settings on my Linksys wireless router to share the connection, I am only able to surf for 30 seconds. After 30 seconds I am not able to ping the DNS server. I am not a networking person and hence need your help in solving the issue. So if anybody else is facing similar Reliance Broadband: problem with Static IP with Router then please share some information.

Re: Reliance Broadband: problem with Static IP with Router

There must be some problem with the configuration of the router due to which you are not able to surf the Internet when the router is connected. The router has to be configured properly to be able to share the connection. Get the settings for the router from your ISP and then configure the router properly. After configuring the router properly, save the configuration and reboot the router and see if you are able to access Internet or not.

The working of the router is dependent on the algorithm of the router. If the algorithm of the router is outdated then the router will not be able to handle the traffic generated by several computers which may result in the disconnection of the line. I will suggest that you connect the router to the computer using a console cable and update the firmware of the router. To update the firmware or the router, visit the official website of the manufacturer of the router and download the latest firmware which is available for the model of the router which you are using. Install the updated firmware and then see if the same problem continues.

You will have to change the TCP/IP settings on the computer when you are using router to connect to Internet. Select Network connections and Right click on LAN. Select Properties and click TCP/IP utilities. Now select the box which says "obtain IP address automatically". Configure the default gateway address as the IP address of the router. Keep the DNS server and Preferred DNS server tabs blank and save the settings. Disable and then enable the LAN again to apply the changes which are made.

The default IP address of the LAN interface of the Router which you are using is 192.168.1.1 which conflicts with the IP address of Wimax SS due to which the network is getting disconnected. You will have to change the Wimax SS LAN IP or the IP address of the router so that the conflict does not occur. As you will have to change the IP address of the Wimax SS everytime the Wimax is turned on, it is better to change the default IP of the router. Change the default IP of the router from 192.168.1.1 to 172.16.1.1 and save the settings. Reboot the router. Hopefully the connection will work without any problems.