Thread: WiFi security on MTNL broadband

WiFi security on MTNL broadband

I have recently bought an Acer 3810TZ laptop which is running on Windows 7 operating system. I have a MTNL broadband connection connected to the desktop computer which is running on Windows XP. The broadband connection is provided by DLINK wireless router. I want to connect the laptop to the router using Wifi connection but I have heard that wifi is not secured. Hence I want to know how to implement Wifi security on MTNL broadband. Also the laptop is not able to connect to the router when the SSID is hidden. How to solve this problem. Any help is highly appreciated.

Re: WiFi security on MTNL broadband

The default IP version of Windows 7 is IPv6 while the default IP version of Windows XP is IPv4. If two computers which are running on these two windows operating system then both the systems will give some problem while working. You will have to disable the IPv6 support of Windows 7 to make the network work properly. To disable the IPv6 support of Windows 7 operating system, go to network connection and go to LAN properties. In LAN properties, go to TCP/IP properties. Remove the check mark from the option which says "Enable IPv6 support". Save and apply the settings. Reboot the system and see if the laptop is able to connect to the router or not.

Whenever any Wifi network is configured, the router always asks the user to configure a authentication password. Keeping an authentication password for the network will not allow any undesirable user to connect to the network. Hence you can secure the Wifi connection which you have configured using a Authentication password. While protecting the network using an Authentication password, it is preferable to keep a long password which contains alphanumeric characters.

Routers also provide encryption which helps in protecting the wireless network from the undesirable users from connecting. There are three types of Wireless encryption which are available. WPA2, WEP and WPA are the encryption type. You can use any encryption type mentioned above to protect the network from undesirable users. To use the encryption, login to the router and go to the configuration page. Go to Encryption tab and then select the encryption type which you want to implement. Save the configuration of the router and reboot it.

Along with the encryption, you can use MAC ids to differentiate services to the users which are connected to the network. You can enter the MAC ids of the computers which are allowed to connect to the router. You will have to enter the MAC ids of all the computers in the configuration of the router. The computers whose MAC id is entered in the router configuration table, will be allowed to connect to the router and hence to the network. Therefore employing MAC address and encryption can provide a good level of security.