Thread: MTNL Broadband: Shift to Bridged Mode on D-Link DSL-502T

MTNL Broadband: Shift to Bridged Mode on D-Link DSL-502T

Hello there, I have desktop computer which is running on Windows XP operating system. To this computer I have MTNL broadband connection which is provided by an ADSL Modem DLINK DSL502T. I have heard that putting the modem in Bridged mode will be useful but I dont know what is Bridged mode and how to configure the modem in Bridged mode. So if any of you can give me some information regarding How to shift to bridged mode on DLINK DSL-502T, it would be really helpful. Thanks in advance.

Re: MTNL Broadband: Shift to Bridged Mode on D-Link DSL-502T

Yes using the modem in bridged mode will surely help in boosting the speed of the connection. In bridged mode the, all the ports of the modem are left open due to which the there is no need of configure port forwarding. Also one mode advantage of using a Bridged mode is that you can keep the modem connected but will only be charged if you are connecting through a PPPoE connection. Therefore shifting to bridge mode will be a wiser choice.

There are some disadvantages involved while using the modem in bridged mode. While using the modem in bridged mode there is a high possibility that the system is infected by some virus as all the ports of the modem are open. As all the ports are open, it makes the computer more susceptible to virus attacks. Therefore I would suggest that before shifting the mode of the modem from normal to bridged mode, install a good firewall which will help you in preventing the computer from virus attacks.

To configure the router in the bridged mode, you will have to login to the router using the default IP address of the router. Refer the user manual to get the default IP address of the router. Enter the default IP address of the router in the address bar of the browser and hit enter. Now the system will prompt you to enter the login id and the password. Provide the correct information to login. Once logged in, contact the ISP to get the correct settings for the router to configure it in the mode which you want to use it. After configuring save the settings and reboot the router.

Follow the steps below to enable Bridged mode function of the modem :-
    • Login to the router and open the configuration page.
    • Click on WAN
    • Now change the WAN settings to Bridged mode.
    • Click on DHCP and select No DHCP
    • Now select Tools tab and click on System.
    • Click on Save and Reboot.
    • Now go to Network connection and select Create new connection.
    • Select "Connect to Internet" and hit next.
    • Select "Setup my connection automatically" and hit next.
    • Select "Connect using Broadband connection which requires user name and password" and hit next.
    • Now enter the account details and then hit enter.
    • Configure the TCP/IP details for the new connection which you have created.
    After configuring all the details you will be able to surf the internet using Bridged mode.