Thread: Linux server in a Windows environment

Linux server in a Windows environment

Hello,
    I'm looking for advice to help me make a decision. We are a network of 4 PCs running Windows XP. The network to grow, I think to associate a server acting as network controller. Windows Server is the most expensive Is it possible to use an linux server and connect the network? Mail server, firewall, etc. I would like Linux server in a Windows environment to run. How can I do this? Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Re: Linux server in a Windows environment

Hello,
    Yes except in special cases, the whole and how you want to incorporate your network, the main app in your Linux server should be "Samba" is the one that allows the interconnection, management of shares, with the Windows world. in terms of Mail server? -> There are several, sendmail, Postfix, the list is long. Firewall -> iptables + possibly a front-end".

Hello,
    Even I do want such an environment. In distribution, Red Hat seems most appropriate, but it is far from free. So, what interest, compared to Windows Server 2003. I wonder if Linux can really act as a Domain Controller, as would a Windows Server. Someone he already experienced? Thanks you for your advice. If you know any other linux distribution that can be used then you can let me know.

Hello,
    The last version of "Red Hat" is no longer free, by cons "Fedora" is the RedHat "free", For what you want to distribute important can (Mandrake, Debian, Slackware ( ), .....) SAMBA is the software that will do the job and giving you the chance to act as a domain controller, the one can read is required but it is not too complicated if you are methodical when configuring.

Hello,
    Samba domain controller can be primary or secondary can be configured to run LDAP that print server, at home I'm running as a PDC file server and print server Samba can do everything that a server. Length and height is that it is even faster than Windows Server 2003. Stable samba version comes out, it's time to get started. I hope this will help you and you will decide the appropriated linux distribution of choose.