Thread: Trojan Horse Generic 14.ADBO detected on Windows Startup

Trojan Horse Generic 14.ADBO detected on Windows Startup

I am using a HP Pavilion p6380t series desktop. It has got Genuine Windows 7 installed. I have installed Norton Internet Security 2010 anti-virus. But whenever I restart or boot my computer the Trojan Horse Generic 14.ADBO detected on Windows Startup. And Norton Internet Security 2010 deletes this threat. But again when I restart my desktop it is again detected. Please help.

Re: Trojan Horse Generic 14.ADBO detected on Windows Startup

In such cases the virus is mostly making use of a third party application to re-construct itself on start-up. So to avoid the virus from using any third party malicious application I would rather suggest you to boot your machine to Safe Mode. In this mode the third party application are disabled making it impossible for the virus to make use of any third party softwares. Once in Safe mode scan your computer to remove the virus.

Have you checked the Windows Firewall settings. There are some viruses and trojans noted to change the Windows Firewall settings in order to make it easy to attack the host system. In case the Windows Firewall is turned Off, following are the steps to be followed to turn the Windows Firewall On in Windows 7:
    1. Open the Control Panel from Start Menu.
    2. Enter Firewall in the Search box and press the enter.
    3. Open the Windows Firewall from the displayed option.
    4. Click Turn Windows Firewall On or Off.
    5. To ensure protection to your computer select the network location that you want to help protect and click on OK.

I have checked the Windows Firewall settings on my computer and there are not changes made to it. The Windows Firewall is turned ON. I also tired the Safe Mode scan and it detected and deleted the threat. But on booting to normal Windows mode rather then the startup now the trojan is detected whenever I open Internet Explorer. I am using Internet Explorer 8.

I would suggest you that you at once uninstall the Internet Explorer 8 from your system. The virus most probably seems to be a plug-in to the Internet Explorer or a script that has made the Internet Explorer to re-direct to a malicious website. Install Mozilla Firefox or Apple Safari browsers which are more safe and accurate the Internet Explorer.