Thread: Stopping UAC for prompting program changes

Stopping UAC for prompting program changes

I am trying to protect users from installing software on Windows 7 Professional in the system. The client is a domain account in the "domain users" group. This group is in revolving a member of the "user"group on the system. The under Windows XP this was sufficient to protect users installing software. I tested with Firefox 3.6 the UAC message "Do you desire to permit the following program to create changes on this system." appeared with the choice to enter a domain account and password and hit it off Yes, or to hit it off no. On the other hand clicking No permits the setup to continue, ie clicking No is ignored. If you have any information regarding this you can reply to this post.

Re: Stopping UAC for prompting program changes

Does the problem happen on every Windows 7 system or only certain Windows 7 system. At this stage, I recommend you login on the Windows 7 system with the local administrator account and verify whether the domain account is an associate of local Administrators group. If so, please eliminate it. If the problem persists, please try to install a number of additional submissions for a test.

Based on your research, I would like to elucidate that the symptom is standard in view of the fact that it is designed by Mozilla. When installing Firefox 3.6 with administrator account, the program files determine to be copied into the folder: C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox folder. When selecting "No" to install Firefox with customary client (Or Guest account), the program files determine to be saved under C:\ProgramData folder and only the present client be able to have right of entry program.

If it is an hidden folder and is immediately used as a Local Settings folder which necessitates not administrator privilege. Presently, only part of software is able to be saved into C:\ProgramData folder and the majority of software is supposed to be saved into C:\Program Files folder which necessitates administrator privilege. After installing Firefox with administrator privilege and putting the files to C:\Program Files, the entire users are able to have right of entry the program.

You have been capable to duplicate this on two test systems. The second system was not a member of a domain. The client account, together domain and non-domain are not, in either case, a member of the local Administrator's group. You have tried a numeral of additional installs and they have been stopped from installing, including signed and unsigned. So you have seems rather odd that when you hit it off "no" the Firefox install continue anyway. You speculate if anybody else has been capable to reproduce the similar problem with Firefox 3.6.

The windows 7 where premeditated to be significantly additional protected than XP, and UAC is a cornerstone of its sanctuary scheme. The point of UAC is to create certain no system-level changes happen without an Administrator’s permission. Even if you usually utilize an Administrator account, the entire of your day-to-day activity occurs at the low-privilege Standard level. Before a nasty virus (or a helpful submission) is able to do something potentially hazardous like writing to the Windows folder, it has to get authorization.