Thread: Managing Computers from ADUC gives Access Denied in Computer Management

Managing Computers from ADUC gives Access Denied in Computer Management

Hello, I want to mange my Windows 7 Clients. And I am having a domain admin. If I make right click on the Windows 7 computers from the ADUC and select Manage, then it gives the window of the computer management with the computer opened. But, it is not possible for me to open any of the System tools. such as event viewer and system tools in computer management. It give me error message as the "Access is denied." And after that if I try to connect to services and applications then it will give the error message as below:
    Unable to open service control manager database on WIN7-01.domain.com.
    Error 5: Access is denied.

Re: Managing Computers from ADUC gives Access Denied in Computer Management

Hello, I think you need to make use of the turning off your computer firewall. It is necessary to turn off your computer firewall, as it will simply provide you the problem while making use of the managing computers. If you simply disable the firewall then you will able to get the solution for your problem. It may be possible that you are getting the problem due to the firewall setting. So, simply turn off it and solve your problem.

Hello, I was also getting the such kind of problem and then I simply modify the System Variable and get my problem solved. For doing this you need to follow the steps below:
    • Click on the Start.
    • Then click on the Run.
    • Now click on the Advanced Tab and the simply select the "Environment Variables" button.
    • Then you need to double click on the "Path" and then simply set the path below:
      Code:
      c:\windows\system32;c:\windows;c:\windows\System32\Wbem

Hello, I think you need to follow the steps below for Modify Computer Account Properties and solve your problem:
    • Click Start, point to Programs, point to Administrative Tools, and then click Active Directory Users and Computers.
    • In the console tree, click Computers under the domain node, or click the folder in which the computer is located.
    • In the details pane, right-click the computer, and then click Properties.

Hello, you can simply get access of the computer management console by making right click on your my computer. Then simply select to the Manage. Then you can simply remotely connect to the operating system which are supported by the computer. For doing this, you need to right click on the local computer object and then select the connect to another computer and simply enter the NetBIOS name of the system and simply connect to it.

"Hello", I think you all need to actually read the OP and provide some useful input instead of regurgitating generic directions for connecting to a remote services manager... which OP already knows how to do.

There is precious NO information online about getting "Error 5: Access is denied" when trying to connect to a remote PC from Windows 7 to Windows 7 with firewall disabled. None of this crap makes any sense. I've checked everything and I CANNOT find a way to access another computer's services database. I'm using the same login on both PCs. I'm completely infuriated by Windows telling me that ACCESS IS DENIED to my own computer!

Hey FalconFour,

The "Error 5: Access is Denied" usually occurs because you need the following permissions to open the properties of a service, and to stop, start, or pause a service:
    Read
    Stop, Start, and Pause
    NOTE: This is also true when using net commands at the command line.

To resolve this issue, reapply the policy and give the user the correct permissions.

For additional information about how to apply a system service security policy correctly, you can check the article made over here.

Nope. Of course I have permission. I'm the only user of these computers. I'm the admin. Head hauncho. Etc.

No, I did a ton of research and testing on my own, set up 2 fresh installed Win7 Home x64 virtual machines, and found exactly the same behavior by default. Access denied. That's with the same login/password (with password set), firewall disabled, sharing enabled, "home" network, no homegroup, password-protected sharing... "Access denied".

I DID, however, find the cause. UAC.

See, when UAC is enabled, the "admin user account" is not an admin. The system utilizes "UAC virtualization", which basically "RunAs"'s a process with elevated privileges as needed. Since network access uses the local user account, that's why you don't get (and never will get) share access to your Program Files and Windows folders. That's ALSO why the Computer Management remote access fails. I ran an audit on failures on the box I was trying to access, and found that my account on the local system was being denied access to the services database, when I tried to access it from another PC. That's what tipped me off to UAC.

So, on the test virtual machines, I set them both to "Never prompt". Then rebooted. Then tested it. Both ways connected successfully to the Services manager. OK. So I enabled UAC on the first VM and left it off on the other, and rebooted. Now the second VM (UAC disabled) couldn't access the first (UAC enabled) anymore. But the first (enabled) could access the second (disabled). Pretty much nailed that one now.

Still shocked that nobody has bothered trying this before, as evidenced by the lack of Google results, and the lack of solutions provided on the 3 forums I posted this issue on... I guess there will be Google results now (congrats!)

Thanks man! UAC was the solution after all!