Thread: Windows 7 VPN Connects but wont show computers on network it connects too

Windows 7 VPN Connects but wont show computers on network it connects too

I am configuring the system to use for a Windows 7 user . They work from home most of the time. I have configured a VPN connection up so they are able to connect with the office which works well. I can ping the server which replied as "The internet works fine connected to the workplace."

So why is it when I click on Start- Computer - Network why, it is not showing the computers on the network at this persons work? Also I am trying to understand the entire new search style in Windows 7. Is there a easy method in which you can just search for an IP address??

All of this is for me to do one thing. I need to map a drive from a computer on this users network at work. But I am trying to set it all up from her home and not in the workplace.can anybody help me to resolve this issue.

Windows 7 VPN Conneqcts but wont show computers on network it connects too

By the way,you connect to the work site through the VPN connection, the machine is not addressed to the work site so you can not retrieve other computers through the Network. You may connect to a work computer through Remote Desktop after connecting to VPN and you can retrieve different computers in Network from the remote computer in Remote Desktop.

I was also suffering with the same issue. What I had to do was tell the connection to not use the remote gateway to connect via the internet connection.

On the XP machine (also compatible on Vista and 7 ) . Come on to the properties of the VPN connection. Click on the Networking tab and double click on the Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4). Just Click on Advanced and uncheck the box that is selected by default for a by default setting as "Use default gateway on remote network." This will route entire local traffic through whatever network you're locally connected to, and any remote traffic via the VPN connection. It also guess that you are not trying to route your internet traffic through the VPN. If you ignore this option set, then you can't access any local network resources without manually specifying routes to get to them.

You need to test the capability of the network adapter's and also MTU settings. You may have a lot of packet fragmentation (especially if you use PPPoE DSL). How to optimize VPN performance with your network.

Consider, the maximum packet size which can traverse the tunnel:
    Connect with the MUVPN client and issue a ping test for the server status on the other hand of the MUVPN or BOVPN tunnel.
    For Example. Your Exchange or Terminal server is 192.168.10.5, So ping statement would take the following form :

C:\ping –l 1500 –f 192.168.10.5

Pinging 192.168.10.5 with 1500 bytes of data:
    Packet needs to be fragmented but DF set.

Ping statistics for 192.168.10.5:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

It specifies that the packet is fragmenting and is rejected since the –f (do not fragment is set) as most machines are configured with the value of 1500 MTU by default. Decrease the size in the ping command until you find the good reply pings.

Changing MTU on Windows NT

I am going to show you a procedure to change the MTU on Windows NT, 2000, and XP (As an alternative, Dr. TCP can be downloaded from dslreports.com)

1. Click on the Start menu and then Run.
    2. Type: regedit in RUn bos and click OK.
    3. Find HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip
    4. Click the Parameters folder.
    5. Click Edit => New => String Value.
    Type MaxMTU and press "Enter" key with two times .The dialog box would show you , type 1450.
    6. Click the OK button.
    7. Exit Regedit and reboot your computer