Thread: Windows 7 VPN Connects but wont show computers on the network

Windows 7 VPN Connects but wont show computers on the network

Hello there, I have setup a VPN connection between the computers at work place and my house but I am facing some problems while using the VPN connection. The operating system on the work computer is Windows 7 while the home computer is installed with Windows XP operating system. I am able to ping the computer at the work place from home but I am not able see all the computers on the network. I am not able to figure out what is causing such problem and hence need your help in solving the issue. I want to map certain drive from the work computer on the home network. Therefore if anybody knows why Windows 7 VPN Connects but wont show computers on network then please share some information which might help me in solving the issue. Any help is highly appreciated.

Re: Windows 7 VPN Connects but wont show computers on the network

I think the VPN is not configured due to which you are not able to use all the resources of the network. For all the computers to share all the network resources, the network should be configured properly. If the network is not configured properly then the computers will not be able to access all the resources. Therefore before doing any troubleshooting, check the configuration of the VPN network which you have defined. If there are any changes to be made, do it and then see if the computers are visible on the network or not.

There must be some connectivity issue between the work computer and the home computer. The VPN you are using must be defined on the Internet link which is very unreliable. If the link which you are using is faulty then you will face many problems like the one which you are facing right now. I will suggest you to get the link connecting the office computer and the home computer checked and then do the further troubleshooting.

To be able to view the computers on the same network, you will have to define them in same workgroup. I think the computer which you have connected using the VPN are working in different workgroups or domains due to which you are not able to see the computers in the same network. Try changing the domain or workgroup of the computers and see if the computers are able to see each other on the network or not. To change the domain or Workgroup of the computer, right click on My computer and select properties. Click on the Computer name tab and enter the Workgroup and domain. Keep the domain and Workgroup same for both the computers.

As the two computers are located at different location and you are accessing both the computers using a network, you will not be able to access hard drive of the computer using the same network. You will have to use the remote desktop application after connecting to the VPN. Remote desktop application will help you to access the computers on the VPN.