Thread: PPTP VPN on Windows 7 - error 720

PPTP VPN on Windows 7 - error 720

Hello everyone,
    I am managing the network for a small organization. I was able to manage the servers when they were using the Windows XP. But now they have turned to Windows 7 and after that my work becomes tough. When I am trying to install a PPTP VPN server on Windows 7, I am getting an error. When I am trying to setup the VPN, I am getting an error 720 stating that unable to connect. Please help me to solve PPTP VPN on Windows 7 - error 720

Re: PPTP VPN on Windows 7 - error 720

he establishment of a VPN to connect securely to remote computers through an unreliable connection (Internet) as if they were on the same LAN. This process is used by many companies to allow their users to connect to the corporate network outside their workplace. One can easily imagine a large number of possible applications :
    • LAN Access (Corporate) remotely and securely for mobile workers
    • Secure File Sharing
    • Game LAN with remote machines

To solve the error 720 that you are facing while setting the VPN on Windows 7, the following steps will help you :
    Try to clean the following registry :
    • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SYSTEM \ CurrentControlSet \ Control \ Class \ (4D36E972-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002bE10318)

I would like to tell that you should be careful, do not delete anything in the registry without having saved.

There are several types of VPN running on different network layers , here the VPN we can build on a dedicated server or at home :
    • PPTP: Easy to set up, but many disadvantages associated with the heavy transport protocol GRE, network hardware (ADSL router, WLAN should be compatible with PPTP)
    • Ipsec: More efficient than PPTP in performance, but also very demanding in terms of implementation
    • OpenVPN: The Rolls of VPN, one need only take a little head on the establishment, but its use is very flexible and it works even through proxy
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core @ ~2.2 GHz
    Memory: 1024MB RAM
    Hard Drive: 200 GB
    Video Card: RADEON X300/X550 Series

• Even if the VPN will encrypt packets between you and him, communication between the VPN server and the Internet, however, remain in the clear (unencrypted protocols for that alone of course), so when viewing the network by government.
    • The VPN does not not make you completely anonymous. New techniques are constantly developed in order to de-anonymize your connection. The technique Panopticlick is one such technique.
    ASUS P5VD1-X
    Intel Pentium Dual Core 3.00GHz
    Maxtor 160GB
    Corsair 1.5GB PC3200 RAM
    Nvidia Geforce 6800 GT 256mb
    Phillips DVD RW
    Magna 500W PSU
    XION II Steel Black Gaming Case