Thread: Accessing network shares stopped working

Accessing network shares stopped working

Hello everyone,
    I am suddenly having the problem while connecting to my network shares. Two days back, my system froze and later that I started getting this problem. There is one NAS server, one Windows XP machine and two Windows 7 laptops in my network. While trying to connect I am getting an error stating that "Network location not reachable". Please tell me the solution for Accessing network shares, stopped working Hope that someone would help me soon.!!

Re: Accessing network shares stopped working

It is possible that you may experience problems with UDP-dependent network services after you install security update service DNS server (Domain Name System) 953230 (MS08-037) and restart the computer. After installing the security update 953230, it is possible for a service that depends on a UDP port is not started on a computer running Windows 2000, Windows Server 2003 and Windows Server 2008.

he implementation of the security update for the DNS server provided a set of ports when randomization queries. This decision was motivated by the desire to solve performance problems of DNS servers that process and come from a large number of applications compared to Windows clients. The default size of the pool of sockets on the Windows servers was 2 500 sockets. You can configure the size by changing the registry entry SocketPoolSize in the following subkey in the registry :
    • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SYSTEM \ CurrentControlSet \ Services \ DNS \ Parameters \ SocketPoolSize

You must restart the DNS service for the changes to the registry entry SocketPoolSize be taken into account.

In Windows Server 2008 or Windows Vista, the value of the registry entry MaxUserPort defines the number of ephemeral ports. The range is as follows: [boot option, start + range MaxUserPort]. The boot option is the default port 49152. Assign ports in the ephemeral port range [49152-65535] before you install the security update 953230 on Windows Server 2008. This behavior will not be changed after installing the security update 953230.

The domain controller locator mechanism in Windows 2000 always prefers a domain controller which resides at the customer site you are looking for a domain controller, which is achieved by a domain controller registers the domain controller locator site resource records DNS server for the site where the domain controller resides. In addition, a domain controller can register the specific domain controller locator DNS server resource records for the other sites that do not contain a domain controller in the same function (as one that is hosting the same domain or is a global catalog ) that the domain controller's site is the closest. This ensures that clients find the closest domain controller if no domain controller is in the client's site.

The version of ONTAP 2.7.3 has a bug causing drive mappings to disconnect randomly.. their is a workaround from NetApps website, or i will just upgrade to the latest Version which is 3. something. The following recommendations are based on assumptions that the hub and spoke topology, it is preferable if all the catalogs / global domain controllers of a satellite site to be available, a customer who is looking for a domain controller / global catalog on that site may through a domain controller / global catalog on a centralized hub and satellite anywhere else.