Thread: Unable to delete recovery console cmdcons using ComboFix

Unable to delete recovery console cmdcons using ComboFix

I have a personal computer which runs on Winodws XP operating system and i have a problem with my computer, i wanted to remove Cmdcons folder from C drive which was installed when i tried to use ComboFix. I used ComboFix and then i uninstalled it from the computer. After that I found the cmdcons folder on the C drive. I tried to delete and remove the folder but could not get through. I even booted into the dual boot on the drive G and tried to delete the cmdcons folder but nothing went correct. Also i then installed back Combofix anf tried to remove it but nothing happened. Please help me to remove this annoying folder from my computer.

Re: Unable to delete recovery console cmdcons using ComboFix

Just follow the steps:
    1. You need to restart your computer and then click on the Start, click on My Computer, and double-click on the hard disk where you have installed the recovery console.
    2. After that on the Tools menu there click on the Folder Options, and then click the View tab.
    3. Click on the Show hidden files and folders and then click to clear all the Hide protected operating system files check box, and then click OK.

A. Then Click on the "cmdcons" folder to select it and then right click on it and select "Sharing and Security" option.
    B. Click on the "Security" tab and then click the "Advanced" button.

5. At the root folder, then right-click on the Boot.ini file, and then click on the Properties.
    6. Then click on the clear the Read only check box, and then click on OK.

C:\cmdcons\bootsect.dat="Microsoft Windows Recovery Console" /cmdcons

7. Save the file and close it.

As i have noticed that running this program unsupervised can effect the computer and lead to forever unbootable, as you have said that it is a powerful a tool, which should be run only under the strictly supervised conditions". No doubt that the combofix tool is a powerful program, but as stated above, it can also damage a working computer. So the best thing is not to use this security tool on a computer which deos not support.

I was also havign the same problem just brfore three days back. I don't know that the method which i did to solve the problem can work with you. I noticed that the firewall was the actual medium in this case which was blocking me from going forward. So if your firewall is active on your computer then i would request you to please disable it and after that try to remove it from the computer.

If you want then you can also try to remove it from going to the control panel and from there just go in the add and remove option and then select the cmdcon if it is displayed, you will see and option which will tell you too uninstall, just select it and then try to remove it. If is removed then you need to have some good antivirus which can protect your computer from the virus infections. I can suggest you Avast antivirus.

If all the above methods doesn't work then the last option which is left for you is that you need to format your computer to get complete rid from the annoying folder which you are not able to remove it from the computer. After you have formated your computer you can then use the best security tool and avoid the use of combofix which caused this problem on your computer.