Thread: Laptop will not obtain IP address

Laptop will not obtain IP address

I have some issues with my laptop. I tried all of the ways to get it to connect to my friends network but it didn't provide the connectivity and occurring the error message as "Limited or no connectivity".

The laptop is configured with the wireless radio. It is running XP Pro and we are trying to get it to connect to his Charter.net cable modem/router. I have investigate the TCP/IP configurations to be confirm that it is set to get the IP automatically. I have configured a static address as well to no avail. When I had the static set I looked at the status and it was ending bytes but not receiving any.What the problem or any bad configuration that I have made before ???
    Last edited by Raja-Ji; 24-03-2010 at 08:42 PM.

Let me think,what the actual problem would be during the configuration of your network.

If the laptop is able to connect to outer wireless networks, and another laptops can be able to connect with the suggested wireless network, then the wireless radios are functioning well.

You need to check the efficiency of the network after making disable the WEP on the router and laptop, then find it functioning properly or not. It may just be that the router and the laptop's wireless are not functioning well together.

Hello guys,

I am also having such type of problem which is closely related to this thread.My laptop is not retrieving the IP address from the router whenever the laptop getting switched on. In cases,when it goes to retrieves the IP address, it takes much more time during retrieving , it should be happened within a few seconds, sometimes it consumes more than one minute or sometimes longer.

I can find, how strong the wireless connection is?? thanks...

I think,you should try first to check,if you can configure the static IP on your network card, reboot, and then after find out the time how much it is taking before you can retrieve the network.

commonly, it should only consume a second or two, and if the same matter which I am talking about then it is probably a DHCP issue of some sort. If it still consumes a bulk time to be able to connect then it's probably a configuration issue which is taking the card a long time to connect to a wireless network, rather than obtain an IP from the router.

I am not sure whether or not you are aware with executing a packet capture, but In such case, I would tell you that just execute Wireshark and capture the packets onto your connected wireless card before you getting an IP address. It can be a complex task for you to do but try to do it.

if you are able to switch your computer into Standby under Linux, I would suggest you to start up Ethereal and find all of things set up for a packet capture to the point where all you require to do is click "Start". Then switch the computer into Standby mode, wait for some times and come it out and start it.