Thread: Ethernet controller problems in Sony-vaio-vgn-n11m

Ethernet controller problems in Sony-vaio-vgn-n11m

I have recently purchased a Sony Vaio laptop and I am facing some problems while connecting to Internet. The operating system on the laptop was Windows XP which I then upgraded to Windows 7 but after upgrading the operating system I am not able to connect to my Linksys Wireless router. It shows that the laptop is connected to the router but I cannot access Internet on the laptop. I think that there is some problem with the ethernet controller but I am not sure. Therefore if anybody else is facing Ethernet controller problems in Sony-vaio-vgn-n11m then please suggest some solutions. Any help is highly appreciated.

Re: Ethernet controller problems in Sony-vaio-vgn-n11m

It can be because of the router also. If the router is not configured properly then the devices will not be able to access the router and hence the device will not be able to access Internet on the computer. Therefore I would suggest you to check the configuration of the router. To check the configuration of the router, login to the router using the default IP address of the router. Once logged in, go to the configuration page and contact the ISP. Get the required settings for the router and see if the router is configured properly according to the settings. If there are any changes to be made, do it and then save the configuration and reboot the router. Check if the laptop is able to connect to the router or not.

Devices which are connected to the computer require a set of drivers to be installed on the computer. Drivers act as a mediator between the operating system and the device. If the appropriate drivers for the device are not installed then the device will not work properly. To check if the drivers for the network adapter is installed and working on the computer, right click on My computer and select Device manager. Highlight the network adapter and see if there are caution signs. Follow the troubleshooting procedure. If troubleshooting does not help, then you will have to update the drivers installed on the computer.

The default IP version of Windows 7 operating system is IPv6 while the default IP version of Windows XP is IPv4. As the operating system on the laptop was Windows XP before the router would be configured to work with computer running on Windows XP and hence you are facing problems while connecting the laptop to the router. You will have to disable the IPv6 support of Windows 7 inorder to connect the laptop to the router. Open the network connection wizard and open Lan properties. Go to TCP/IP properties and then remove the check mark from the option which says "Enable IPv6 support" and apply the settings. Now check if the laptop is able to connect to the router.

The Network interface card of the computer is responsible for establishing and maintaining the connection to the network. Therefore if network interface card is faulty then the laptop will not be able to establish or maintain connectivity to the network. All the NIC's have a software interface port which is configured to test the NIC. You can ping the NIC using the IP address of the test port and then see if the NIC is working properly. Click on Start and select Run. Now type "ping 127.0.0.1" in the run tab and hit enter. Check the errors in the data sent and received. If there are any errors in the data sent and received, the NIC is faulty and needs to be replaced.

The DHCP on the router is responsible for assigning the IP address to the devices which are connected to the router using Wireless connection. If the DHCP is not working properly then the device will be connected to the router but will not be able to access Internet. You will have to disable the DHCP and then enable it again. To disable the DHCP on the router and then enable it, login to the router and go to configuration page. Disable the DHCP and reboot the router. Login to the router again and enable DHCP. Now save the configuration and reboot the router.